MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
parents sitting in the room during the lesson 
MES-Member

Post parents sitting in the room during the lesson
Hello.
I have a problem with one of my students, and to be more precise with her mother. The problem is that she sits in the classroom with her daughter throughout the whole lesson. I understand that sometimes kids can be scared to be alone, especially when they first start but the girl's been attending theclasses for 5 months now and I can't get her mother to leave the room!
I've tried telling her that it's bad for her daughter, who is 5/6 btw, and she might have problems later when she starts elementary school but she doesn't seem to get it.

What can I tell her?How to convince her/make her leave the classroom?

please, any advice would be appreciated :)

Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:48 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: parents sitting in the room during the lesson
Is there some reason you want the mother to leave?

I have parents sit in the back of my classes. Some of the parents want to passively learn along with their child. Some would have to wait any way, so they choose to wait inside, rather than sit in the car outside. I had a set of parents sit in classes for 6 years - all through elementary school. One was an elementary school teacher and she took notes in the back.

I have had some helicopter parents that hover and shout orders to their kids. In general, I just tell them it's all right. Their child is doing fine.

Sometimes, I appreciate it. Sometimes, they are telling their child to stop doing something different and pay attention.

There is some good in the parents also being interested and watching the class. If the child likes the attention of their parents (who doesn't,) when the child does something good, the parent is there to see that success. That could be very motivating for the child. And I always emphasize to parents that if they are interested in what the child is doing and involved in their learning, it will be helpful. So, my rule is 'every day is open house.' If you want to come and show some interest in what your child is doing, I am ALL for that! It's like showing up to all of their baseball games :)

It can be distracting for the class and the teacher. I have some moms that bring the younger child as well. Those younger kids prove to be a distraction, but over time, they end up enrolling as well (for the most part.) When they do enroll, they're already ahead. They've been coming since they were babies.

Anyway, back to the original question ... what is causing the problem?

Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:09 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Addict

Personally, I find it very disruptive to have parents observing the classes. At my old school in Shanghai, there would be Parent observation days about three times per semester. Each parent wants their kid to do well in the class so they are often telling the kid the answer to a question or other "butting in." Also the children often want to have mama's or daddy's attention so they are not paying attention to the teacher. Although I understand the reasoning behind these observation days, I'd prefer not to have them.

Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:26 pm
Profile YIM
MES-Member

Is it possible for you to have this parent do some form of parent help during the week? At a time and lesson that suits yourself and the classroom?. A parent can be very useful in art or even reading activities. This way it is not asif your being watched/critiqued by the parent at the back of the room and rather than having students distracted by this parent during your lessons they will be contributing to their and other childrens education.. That is what I would be doing anyway and hope that they come to the alternative time rather than hanging around.

Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]