MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
suggestion for strategies in teaching ESL 
MES-Member

Post suggestion for strategies in teaching ESL
hello everyone... I am new registered member of this forum.
I am currently teaching here in Thailand. I teach English conversation. Everybody knows that they are very difficult to teach English.

Do you have any suggestion, strategies, or any techniques or game in order for me to help them like and feel comfortable in the English subject.

It's very difficult to them talk..... :(

Thank you.

Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:40 am
MES-Member

Post Re: suggestion for strategies in teaching ESL
HIi! It's a common problem but in order to help you I think you should tell us a bit about your students. I mean, are you teaching adults? Are they beginners? how large are your classes?

Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:18 am
Site Admin

I agree with nancrisatr. It would be helpful to know the class size, students' ages and level.

It's a a really big question and I wish I had a simple one-size-fits-all solution, but I don't. You can get a lot of information from the games and activities forum, as well as the ESL teacher forums. There are a lot of great tips and ideas in those. Maybe some of the game and activity ideas will inspire you.

The best way to approach this is to talk about something you've taught recently. Tell us what you taught, what you did with the group, and what the result was. Then we can offer you suggestions for improvement or just tell you what we would do. Then you can take that information and apply it to different future situations. You could also tell us about what you plan to teach next. Again, please tell us what you plan to teach, what activities you will use, and what the goals are. Then we can offer suggestions for other activities or general thoughts.

Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:52 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Member

First of all, make them think that English is Easy and Fun! It changes the mindset and make them love English. I think it is the most important think to do, especially in class that contains students where English is not the main or second language. By makin them love English, you are a step ahead in make them mastering English, I hope so..

Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:13 am
MES-Addict

Yes, these things are all true. Possibly, the first steps to making English fun for the students is to begin polaying fun kids songs even if they do not know the words. Play the motions for any songs that have them... The kids will catch on and before you know it, they will be singing the songs. Be spontaneous with the kids also. Whenever it rains, I play the song/video "Rain Rain Go Away" and as we are singing the song I go around the room and tap gently with my fingers on the childrens' heads like it is raining on them. They love it.

Play lots of simple fun games. One of the easiest is what I have called (in my notes) "Follow the flashcard." It is simply a flashcard variation of the shell game. I tell the kids to keep their eyes on a certain flashcard, turn three flashcards face down on the floor or desk, then move them around just like you would the cups hiding the coin. I then ask who can pick out the chosen flashcard.

Lastly, don't be afraid to be silly in class. If the kids are laughing and enjoying your antics, they are not afraid to interact with you. I taught my calsses about hats, caps, shoes, socks, and gloves by acting as if I would wear them on all the wrong body parts. For example: "This is a Hat." "Do I wear it on my foot?" (Placing the hat on my foot). "Do I wear it on my knee? On my elbow?" And, of course they will tell you that you wear it on your head. This one really does get them speaking.

I hope this helps.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:47 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]