MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
crowded groups 
MES-Addict

Post crowded groups
Sometimes I think that teaching is an impossible mission!

How can I teach English to groups with 30 students? Obviously, these 30 students have different levels and moreover, I also have foreign students who can't speak either english or spanish.
Sometimes when i finish my day exhausted I wonder if I want to continue as a teacher. Sites like this one facilitates a lot our daily work and changing opinions and impressions with other people in the forum helps me. You make me feel sure I like teaching. No matter how difficult things are as long as you can help students to be happy and to learn and have fun while learning some english.

Thank you to you all, especially to MARK

Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:49 am
MES-Addict

Thumbs up for a job well done to all out there and of course...our dear Mark. :smt039

Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:57 pm
MES-Member

What age are your students? --it makes a big difference.

damon

Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:48 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: crowded groups
profe wrote:
No matter how difficult things are as long as you can help students to be happy and to learn and have fun while learning some english.

That's pretty much it, isn't it. You just go out there and do your best.

When I have hard classes or tough times, it sometimes helps to sit back and look at it all. I always try to think about the positive aspects and see how what I have is good (vs. looking at the negative.) It's not always easy but i have a lot of great things going on if I look for them and a tough class, tough day, a tough week... can't beat it!

as far as teaching 30 kids goes, I try to do one of two things. Bring them all together in mob mentality craziness or break them up into small groups. Sometimes it's good to just let them go nuts for a while, but I always control the space or hold the stage. I'm the king of the madness.

For better practice you can break them up and encourage the stronger students to help the weaker ones. It's also important to foster an environment where the weaker students seek help. Basically you want to make it a good thing for the weaker students to ask for or accept help. That's tricky business but usually it requires making the environment very supportive.

Good classes come and go. So do tough classes. Keep up the good work. Stay positive and teach hard!

Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:22 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Addict

For better practice you can break them up and encourage the stronger students to help the weaker ones

A teaching friend of mine has a large class with some very strong kids and some not so. She established a "master teacher" role within the class and those kids that achieved the activity or target language quickly, advanced to become basically her "teaching assistant" for that lesson or week. It works for her as the rest of the kids want the kudos of being "master teacher" so they try hard and the stronger kids feel good as they then get to "teach" the others to help them achieve the targets.

Keep up the good work!! ***

Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]