MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Just using L2 
MES-Zealot!

Andrea_Cro If you set up a pattern of speaking in English and then translate what you said into L1, you will train your students to ignore the English and wait for L1, unless they have another pressing reason to listen to your English.

I had a system of 50 minute classes where I only spoke Portuguese for the last 5 minutes of class. I gave the class in English and ended at 45 minutes, then asked in Portuguese, "Is there anything that you need to clarify or understand better?" They also knew not to waste their questions, because at 50 minutes I kicked them out.

Wed May 18, 2011 4:47 am
Profile WWW
MES-Member

My experience w Kindy kiddies: Start off the beginning of a new semester with the new children with ONLY L2, let the assistants translate L1 to explain games, etc...

Use a little helper during the lesson, i.e. a student whose L2 level is higher than most of the others; to expalin demonstrate class rules, you will lose some new kids during this time, but others will get it and will want to be the little helper the next time.

If you can understand L2 always let the little ones be assured that you DO understand their requests when they speak L1 to you,and their ESL instructor respects their decision to resort back to their mother language in critical moments throughout their instructional development time. Mutual respect of both communication systems fosters a stable and functional learning environment.

Young children will feel very abandoned when an ESL instructor meets them with a cold "English Only!" or if ESL Teacher turns thier back on them when they try to use L1 as means for guidance for questions that arise in a day at Kindergarden, some intricate situation they have never had the chance to learn the English necessary to explain in CLASStime yet anyway...

Stay as flexibile to the rule as you can about primarily speaking L2 during CLASStime. Later in the semester, the little ones will KNOW you understand them, but with the proper groundwork, they will already have known it is ADMIRABLE to engage all instructors with the newly introduced L2.

I really like the idea about a L1 corner, and if I ever teach again in a kindy, I will try and incorporate that in my technique, as it gives the little one the idea that the focus during CLASStime is an L2 themed one.

Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2