MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Teaching Buddhist children English 
MES-Member

Post Teaching Buddhist children English
Anyone teaching classes in Buddhist temples? I am writing a series of 1 x a week, 1 hour classes using much of MES and adding Buddhist materials when appropriate and available. The classes will start with K and go through Grade 7 with language and grammar accordingly. Most Buddhist material available (and there is very little( has mixed levels and so is only suitable for older children.
Love to hear from you, mujin

Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:54 pm
MES-Addict

Post Re: Teaching Buddhist children English
Hi there, most of my home tuition students are Buddhist. It is nice to include some cultural content to the class but I do find that they also love to learn about other cultures too.

However if you find any more materials I would also be interested in usng them....

Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:46 am
MES-Member

Post Re: Teaching Buddhist children English
Hello!

I'm currently teaching English lessons to monks from 6 y.o to 20+ in a Buddhist Monastery.
For the smaller ones, I've tried incorporating some Buddhist vocabulary in exercises about alphabet or spelling so they get used to the writing of common Dharma terms. (They're Tibetan Mahayana so I had fun with Avalokiteshvara/Chenrezig, Amitabha/Ă–pame, Manjushri...) You can look for more terms in Buddhist glossaries.

Then, to the older ones, I read them a Buddhist story every week and ask them small comprehension questions afterwards. I use them for oral comprehension but you could print them and make reading comprehension out of it. You can find tons of short and interesting stories if you look for "Jataka tales". They are usually examples of how Karma works for rebirths or stories of the past lives of the Buddha.

I've come across a book called "Sangha Talks: an English language textbook for the Buddhist Sangha", it seemed to have quite a lot of activities and exercises using Buddhist vocabulary.

Finally, I try not to focus too much on Dharma stuff in my classes, they hear about it all day long and are usually glad to work with some light and classic western-style activities.

Hope that could help you!

Best of luck,
Nicolas

Tue May 01, 2012 1:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]