MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
School newsletter 
MES-Member

Post School newsletter
The principal in one of the schools I teach wants to publish a kind of newletter at the end of the year. This will include pieces of writing by the students, photos of students and school events etc. I think it's more an attempt to show that we are doing something in that school and that we're having a great time. :?
He asked me to bring him "students' writings" by the end of March. He didn't care about the topics etc, he just wanted something written in English. It's a state school with all subjects taught in Greek and English is a "special lesson", 3 hours a week for each class. I saw last year's newsletter and I didn't really like it as it lacked consistency. Some kids wrote in English about their pets, family and hometown but it was all very boring and very... predictable, not to mention there was no organisation whatsoever. It was as if someone had typed their pieces without paying attention to their age, level, topic etc.
I'm not particularly enthusiastic but anyway I was thinking about jokes, crosswords, acronyms and some other sort of word games, to start with. Then they could write about important holidays such as Christmas, Easter, Carnival (and Lent). Another idea was to write about some interesting local traditions (I found out about them the other day and I think it is interesting because they were almost forgotten and now people are trying to revive them).
I cannot think of sth about 8-9 yr-olds. They're the most difficult ones because their vocab is very limited and they're not exactly academic... :wink: I'm sure the kids themselves will have good ideas but before asking them, I'd like to ask you about suggestions. Of course, I'll do my bit of serious thinking as well as my internet research but anything you might think of will be appreciated. Thanks!

Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:10 am
MES-Fanatic!

I wonder if the gallop I did with my 5th grade students couldn't come in handy for you. I made this questionnaire
Who/popular in your class?
Who/good-looking boy?
Which/ interesting subject you study?
Which/boring subject you study? etc

They had to word the questions, i.e. Who is the most popular in your class?
and also answer the questions anonymously.
I used the questionnaire as a way to revise vocabulary learnt so far/
Could such a gallop maybe have some interest for your news letter?
Pay great care though not to include negative features like "rude" etc
I had once a girl crying the whole morning because she had been voted the rudest in the class. When I do this in class I also give out certificates next time we have a lesson. I have them copy from the board the category, for example "the most beautiful eyes" and then have someone who is not a candidate for the title "the most beautiful eyes? come and read our the names of the candidates and then announce the winner and hand the certificate.
Well I hope you can do something with this idea.

Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:50 pm
MES-Fanatic!

The young ones could maybe answer a gallop on "What would you like to become when you grow up"??? Just an idea...

Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:34 am
MES-Fanatic!

The young ones could also contribute riddles of the type:
What is brown and white, has four legs, eats grass and gives milk?

Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:08 pm
Site Admin

Liana - You could write up some of your students' self intros and the self intros from my students here in Japan. Then have students write their comments about the exchange (in English or Greek.)

A project like that goes over really well with parents, BOE staff and other teachers. If I was going to produce something for a school news letter I think that's what I would do.

I like the riddles idea, too.

How big of a section do you have in that? It sounds like you have a big space to fill.

Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:24 am
Profile WWW
MES-Member

How big of a section? Not much really. It won't be more than 2-3 pages (in a total of 20 pages more or less.) Last year's English pages were somehow "thrown" somewhere in the newsletter. (oops! and now an English page with absolutely irrelevant pieces of writing, some copied from books, no coherence, no real meaning in doing something like that, just some proof that there was an English teacher in the school. )
What I need is simple things really because I don't have much time (or energy..) for big projects. BUT, I would like to do sth like that in a serious and more concentrated way next year; just English though, no Greek pages.

Thanks for your ideas.

Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:49 am
MES-Fanatic!

I think that newsletters are great. In my schools, there is an English Bulletin Board at the entrance that is updated by a different class every month. It is a great motivational way for the kids to come together and let everyone know what they are studying. Try it! It is fun!

Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:23 am
MES-Addict

if you want to do something easy you could just take a picture of some students making faces and have them write im happy or im sad under the picture it would take up alot of space and the parents or none English speakers could easily understand and enjoy it.

Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]