MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Need teaching tips 
MES-Member

Post Need teaching tips
Hi all,
New to this forum! And new to classroom teaching, I recently moved to S. Korea to teach ESL. I have experience working w/ kids but I am brand new to classroom teaching.
My director doesn't want me playing games at all w/ the kids, he doesn't like games. He basically wants me to spend the whole class asking questions to the kids. Which I am finding a little difficult, and I can tell some kids get bored quickly w/ this and I know if you're bored you're not learning. Personally I think education games are beneficial and can be good ways to reinforce what was learned after the lesson, but the director really had no background in education or working w/ kids (I work at a hagwon). Any tips on making the classes engaging? Plus sometimes I have a hard time filling the class time. I teach the review classes, so I teach pages out of the book for the second time, that the students already got from their main teacher. Some students really do need this review and those who catch on quicker and don't need it as much and the lesson runs really short!
Thanks!

Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:41 pm
MES-Fanatic!

I suggest you play games but don't give out any points and call them activities.

Have a look at big town on this website - those cards are very good for speaking activities.

Another good speaking activity is called the speed game (give it a new name). Basically a student sits with their back to the tv screen and you show the rest of the class a picture or sentence. The rest of the class have to make the student say the picture or sentence. You can do it where the sentence is the answer to a question but another really good option is to make the sentence a question so that the student with their back has to say the question. This means that they have to think more.

Another good question 'activity' is to pass a ball around and play music or just pass until you say stop. Then the person with the ball has to answer a question. An alternative to this is to get the students to write some questions and put it in a bag. Pass the ball and bag around. The student with the bag takes a question and asks it to the student with the ball.

Surveys are a good activity for asking questions too. Make a survey paper for the students with questions down the side. Then they write the names of their classmates at the top, ask them the questions and write the answers. An extension of this is to get the students to write their own questions first using the current topic.

Hope that helps. Good luck with your teaching and have a great time in Korea.

Are you only doing speaking or can you get the students to do some writing projects based on questions. E.g. filling in a cartoon, making a poster etc. This would be good for the kids that have got it to do while you go over it again with the ones who haven't.

Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:58 am
MES-Member

Thanks this is really helpful! And I'm only doing speaking.

Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:36 am
MES-Fanatic!

Even if you are doing only speaking, you can still do the writing project part. Just make them present it orally later so that it covers speaking.

Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:15 am
MES-Member

Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]