MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Teaching English for fun and for profit 
MES-Zealot!

Post Teaching English for fun and for profit
I began teaching English 3 years ago. I opened my own school in January of this year. At my school I use all my own materials. Tabuleiro is a rural town in the middle of nowhere surrouned by mountains. The people are poor and there isn't much to do there. (Great spot, eh?)

I am charging R$20 and R$25 per student per month and give 50% discounts to family members who also study there. The average student price is R$17, or about $9 USD per month. My school is lucrative, but not very lucrative. (It really isn't meant to be, as the town is poor and I am a missionary there) I am just curious about some of you. Do you own your own school? Are you a teacher at another school? What do you charge and is it profitable?

In the future, I will open up a school in a big city. For now, I am just developing materials and skills for myself. In the city, I can charge R$60 per month per student and give smaller discounts.

Anyhow, just curious.

Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:04 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Member

Sounds like we are in similar circumstances in terms of teaching in small communities located against the mountains! Like you I have just started my own school recently, and have been making the adjustments in terms of price and what people can pay in this rural area.

The fees are quite low compared to other schools, plus I give family discounts. However, some still think this is expensive. But, I can't go any lower. So to remedy this problem, my wife is teaching classes which are priced in half, and allow students another option for studying.

In the grand scheme of things, although my prices are low and there are great family discounts, I believe that my school will be financially successful in the long term as more students enter, and these students are successful in the public school classroom in order to demonstrate to others that their English has "leveled up" as a result of entering my school.

On another note, I have a school located in a big city. Having a school in a big city has its own problems and challenges. Needless to say, one business plan and strategy cannot fit the other...

Good luck (to us all!)...

Joe

Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:19 am
Site Admin

In Japan, it's amazing what people will pay for extra-education.

My school is out in the 'country' (at least by Japanese standards.) So, I'm cheaper than probably anywhere else. I'm 20-30% cheaper than my nearest competition, 15 miles away. However, I also teach right out of my house, so I don't have the overhead that other places have.

I'm doing well enough with my school to live and keep this place up. However, if I was willing to travel and set up a school in one of the bigger areas, I'd be finacially better off. The again, I'd have a lot more hanging over my head and have to deal with management issues and such.

It seems like a lot of headaches that I'd like to avoid if possible. Having a small school also has it's good points.

Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:29 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Addict

Started teaching about 10 years ago, part time and now I have my own place to start off and business is good. I have to give discounts as well as parents do ask for them when they have a few kids and I obliged. Put it this way...building up the rapport and their support would give us a upper hand to penetrate into the market which could be quite competitive at times.

Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:08 pm
MES-Member

Teaching young learners (preschool-grade 4) is definately of the 'for fun' variety for me. I do collect fees from the parents, but at less than half what 'the competition' charges. I started up as a favour to a friend, and through word-of-mouth went from two sisters to 22 kids in 5 classes in just over a year.

I teach full time elsewhere, so my kids are really just my hobby. I don't advertise. In fact, I refuse to advertise, even though one parent has asked me to find more students to join my one grade 4 student. I've had to turn away kids already (I only have so much time on Saturdays, and I won't put more than 6 in a class). I don't know what I'm going to do in April, when a number of parents are expecting me to start a new class for 4 year-olds. I've turned down some parents on the basis that don't have a 3 year-olds class.

Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:16 pm
MES-Zealot!

i teac as young as seven, but am thinking of going younger as well. I find that there is a great deal of enthusiams among both the students and parents at this early age of 5-8. Most of my classes are 9+years.

Think about working out a business model of teaching english to this age group. You might be able to do it exculsively and earn well.

Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:15 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Addict

Interesting comments. I do not teach at my own school here in China but if I stay here much longer I will look at opening up my own school. I will keep looking in here for insight from other who have already taken these steps, to learn from you all. Best of luck to you all with your schools and careers.

Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:15 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]