MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Writing workshop---in four hours??? 
MES-Member

Post Writing workshop---in four hours???
Ok, so I just found out this morning that I'm teaching writing at the holiday classes that start next week. I'll have three groups of kids, 10, 11, 12 year olds, and I'll see them for one hour each for four days.

From what I've experienced at past holiday camps (although I've never done the writing section), I'm expecting the 10 year olds especially to be fairly beginner. I believe they start English at school at this age, and seeing as it's only October, I imagine they haven't learned too much. The 12 year olds on the other hand will probably have enough vocabulary and understanding to carry on short conversations and I'll (hopefully) be able to speak only in English to them.

So, I'm wondering what to do? I'm not feeling particularly creative at the moment, and one hour a day for four days is not really a lot of time to get much writing done. Plus, I'm assuming I'll have to squeeze some grammar in there too?

Ideally I'd like to be able to do a sort of writers workshop, where the students go through the writing process, from brainstorming, first draft, revision, etc to a good copy, but I'm worried that the process will take too long, and that the younger students won't have enough English to get anything concrete accomplished.

Has anyone done anything like this in the past, or have any suggestions for me?

Thanks in advance!

Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:10 pm
MES-Member

Ok, so I think I answered my own question.

Looks like the projects that are posted on here would work really well, thanks Mark!

I still have a question though:

I'm thinking of using the Mt Diamante project, and so I'll focus my grammar lessons on adjectives and the past tense, and maybe past perfect for the older kids. Does anyone have any ideas of how to teach grammar without putting kids to sleep, or turning them into professional worksheet filler-outers? :roll:

Thanks!

Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]