MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
How many classes a week do you teach per group? 
MES-Zealot!

Post How many classes a week do you teach per group?
Hello,

My name is Steve. I am 30 years old and have been teaching English in Brazil for three years now. This past year I opened up my own English school. Most all English courses here in Brazil have two classes a week for a duration of one hour to one hour and fifteen minutes each.

Is this normal for you? I teach 12 groups of students (between 4 and 15 students per group) two classes a week. I also work some one-on-one students into my schedule. How many hours of English do you teach per group per week? What is your setting? Is it an English school, or is it part of an elementary school? Just interested...

Mark, great site by the way... I look to contribute as much as possible.

Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:46 am
Profile WWW
MES-Zealot!

In my current job, I teach each of my groups of students 3 hours per week. This sometimes seems like too much, and sometimes not enough! When I teach short English courses to Junior High students, I teach a group of around 15 students, for 4 classes per week and each class is 4 hours long (not 4 hours straight but with breaks). These short courses last 2 or 3 weeks. They learn a lot of English inthis short time!!

When I taught at a private language school in Japan, I taught each class twice a week, but the lessons were only 45 minutes each. These were mostly elementary school kids, with some Junior high and High School classes. What level do you teach?

Good luck with your new school!

Happy teaching!

Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:20 pm
Site Admin

smy2brazil - Welcome to the forums and I'm glad you like the site :D

I have my own private language school and last I counted I teach about 23 classes a week. Each class meets once a week for an hour. I have a few adult classes that run about 90min. each.

I don't think it's enough time (just once a week.) It would be better to have the students twice a week. Then we could make a little better progress and they would have double the exposure. The problem is children (my main group) are so busy they don't have time to come twice a week.

Adult students are probably fine at once a week. If there is a reason that they must improve quickly, then more often would be better. However, most of my adult students just study English as a hobby, so twice a week might seem too intense for them. Also, they're pretty busy too. I'm not sure they could open two slots a week for English classes.

Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:00 am
Profile WWW
MES-Zealot!

Thanks for the replies. I guess I was under the impression that some of you teach the same grou 5 days a week. Mark, I can't imagine spending a whole class to get a game going, then not seeing the students again for a whole week. Then again, I have been using a curriculum based approach with test and stuff. (It is a requirement in one school, but not in mine) The only games I have used are Bingo, Simon Says, Go Fish, Tic Tac Toe (answer a question to mark the spot) and Hangman. Obviously there is a lot of untapped stuff out there for me. I did write 5 textbooks for me to use in my school. After discovering your site and your link to bogglesworldesl, I am starting to think I put too much work into reinventing the wheel.

I am not charging much for my classes, but always feel like I am ripping people off if I don't teach great lessons. Sometimes it is hard to keep up the enthusiam. I enjoy it though.

Thanks,
Steve

Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:48 am
Profile WWW
MES-Fanatic!

I teach 20 classes a week at night. I have kinder through adavnced adult levels. My classes are 50mins. long and I see them once a week. For my younger students, it is more an English play group and for the adults I teach 90min classes. I also teach as an ALT during the day. I teach at about 6 different schools a week. I roughly see about 500-600 kids a week. I l-o-v-e it! You may want to try Richard's site at www.genkienlish.com It to is a great site.

Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:14 pm
MES-Zealot!

I teach anything from 10 to 22 lessons a week

average about 17-18

biggest class is 57, smallest 5 and no lesson is longer than 1 hour

(most are 45 to 50 minutes)

Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:25 pm
MES-Member

Hi everyone. Thanks for asking this question Steve... it is interesting to hear about the different situations people are teaching in.
I see my groups 4 days a week and each lesson is 1 hour long. I live in a small town, where kids aren't quite so busy and, so far, attendance has been good. I have groups of ages 7 - 11 and 12 - 16. I usually introduce new material 2 days a week (often using Mark's materials :) ), and the other 2 days we have lots of practice, games and building up language. I am seeing some nice progress in my students.

Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:37 am
MES-Fanatic!

My English conversation school classes have usually been 1 class, once a week for 50min. It is certainly not enough if you ask me but as previous posts have mentioned, students in Japan are quite busy and have a hard time fitting 2 English classes in :x
I have had students that have studied English in other countries come twice a week for 45min to keep their English level up, but I found that their level still drops because they don't speak English at home.
My biggest class has been 8 or 9 and smallest with just one student.

I also teach part time in a JR High school 3 days a week and 1 full day.

My school now has a contract with Elementary schools so I go to one of the schools, teach there 2hrs once a week, twice a month!

Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:50 am
MES-Member

I'm moving to Honduras in 3 weeks to teach English. However, I'll be teaching in a bilingual school - so I'll teach 16 periods (45 minutes each) a week to 1st grade and 16 to 2nd grade. How great, right? They should be able to make some serious progress. That is the point of a bilingual school, right?

Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:01 pm
MES-Addict

I teach at an English school (which actually had a branch in Brazil some years ago, but unfortunately had to close). I teach mostly adults, they go from Monday to Friday 1 hour and 20 min. everyday or Sat. 6 hours. I teach an average of 4 classes everyday...6 hours. That means 36 hours per week. The number of students per class is between 4 and 12 students ,no more than that.

That is a lot of practice compared to the replies here...well students can learn English in a year or even less.

There are some "Intensive courses" also in which students go 3 hours everyday!!!!

See you :)

Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:17 am
MES-Addict

I work in a state school in Madrid, Spain. I teach 18 hours per week, three hours per week each group. My classes are 50 minutes ( in theory).

I don't think is eanough. I consider it would be better four hours per week with each group.

Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:04 am
MES-Zealot!

The more time you can spend teaching students the more they are likely to gain from it but there are always constraints. If you do see them less then it is important to give them opportunities for using what they learn outside the classroom. This applies in all subjects. One of my ploys for teaching Geography in a school class is to get students to teach what they have learnt to their parents and grandparents. If they can teach it then they know it. I only ask them to do a few minutes a day and suggest doing it in the car, over a meal etc. I have a feedback system through a notebook to ask parents about what has been done and also see parents at parent interviews (I have been/ am a teacher in state schools in NZ, currently in Japan teaching English). The folder and handouts Mark suggests is great for this with kids.

Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:12 pm
MES-Member

I usually teach individual students. Most often we have 3 lessons per week, 90 min. each. Young learners usually have 2-3 60 min. lessons per week.
I believe that the more classes students have the quicker they develop and improve their language skills.

Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:12 am
MES-Zealot!

I usually teach individual students. Most often we have 3 lessons per week, 90 min. each

boy thats quite a bit!

very different here most kids get 1 hour a month

Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:24 pm
MES-Addict

I teach each class once a week, for 45 minutes, and like most everyone who has posted that schedule, I feel like it isn't enough. I've recently been trying to introduce a few extra places where they can use what they've learned, but within the rigid school system it's not easy. So I sort of think of my job as encouraging interest in, rather than teaching, English.

Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next