MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Article: No CALL? Are you doing a disfavor to your students? 
Site Admin

Post Article: No CALL? Are you doing a disfavor to your students?
Here's a pretty interesting summary of some different research into the affects of online learning. It goes over several strong points and leads finally to the question of whether it's OK not to use CALL. Maybe we're doing a disfavor to our students if we don't get them involved. Maybe online English is a different beast.

Kern, R., Ware, P., & Warschauer. M. (2004). Crossing frontiers: New directions in online pedagogy and research . Annual Review of Applied Linguistics 24, 243-260.
http://www.gse.uci.edu/faculty/markw/frontiers.pdf

What do you think? I'm not sure it's a vote in full for V-Key Pals but maybe for some of the future projects I hope to post.

Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:47 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Fanatic!

Interesting read but not a part of the way things are done in Japan. A traditional classroom setting is the norm and let's face it, Japanese use cellphones more than computers. Many don't even own one. In fact, many don't have a tradtional home at phone anymore. It is not moving in the direction that say maybe America or other European countries have taken to advance thier on-line education services. As for on-line language courses. I believe that the virtual world can not match up to in-person discussions. Live web cam classes are OK but still have limitations as to body language and gestures. Try to tell a joke in a live web cam class and it just doesn't have the same punch!

Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:13 pm
MES-Fanatic!

I wrote:[In fact, many don't have a tradtional home at phone anymore.]
OOPS! I meant it to be "In fact, many don't have a traditional phone at home anymore."

Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:15 pm
Site Admin

I've been thinking about using cell phones in class. It's not instant messaging but good enough for my idea. It was to give four different readings to groups and have one person per group use their cell phone. They would have questions about each of the readings and then have to 'message' each other to answer the questions. Some direct questions and maybe some generalizable questions to entice discussion. The problem is I'm not sure the medium would be justified in the end language results. It may be a lot of work for something that ends up being just a little interesting and not all that helpful.

I agree that there are limitations to what can be used here in Japan and other places as well. I see it as something we need to move forward to. What, how and when are much more difficult to answer.

Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:42 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Warschauer, M. (1998). Researching technology in TESOL: Determinist, instrumental, and critical approaches. TESOL Quarterly, 32, 757-761.
http://www.gse.uci.edu/faculty/markw/researching.html

This is a shorter read that talks about using computers as tool rather than an end, the instrumental approach vs. the determinist approach.

Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:41 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Addict

Thanks for the links regarding computer usage and learning. In surveys done at my school, the computer class is often rated the class students enjoy the most. Their are some good packages such as Lexia out their that have been useful for stidents learning to read. Students eally enjoy the multimedia format and immediate feedback they get with games and their wrong answers are only seen by themselves.

Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:55 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]