MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
HALLOWEEN 
MES-Zealot!

I've just been exploring www.bogglesworldesl.com and they have many cool ideas for Halloween, which is well worth having a look at.

With all these wonderful ideas, Mark's Halloween game and Bingo, and other suggestions, we'll probably need weeks to discuss Halloween!?!

Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:54 am
Site Admin

With all these wonderful ideas, Mark's Halloween game and Bingo, and other suggestions, we'll probably need weeks to discuss Halloween!?!

Funny you should say that.

I decorated my classroom last week and will start some Halloween lessons today, continuing for 3 weeks (1 class/week.) Not really all out. I just do a quick Halloween game toward the end of the first few classes and then the last lesson before Halloween, I have a pretty full Halloween fun day. :smt004 This year we might make jack o' lantern bookmarks or costume bookmarks using some of the new costume flashcards on the halloween flashcard page.

Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:24 am
Profile WWW
MES-Zealot!

Sorry!

Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:26 am
MES-Addict

What age group did you use this game with?

I used this with elementary classes, from 1st through 6th grade. They all loved it!

I love the spell idea, and I think my jr. high kids would respond well to the game, but I just don't have the space!!! Once the kids start running around, you'll have to keep a close eye on everyone to make sure no one gets hurt. If you're able to use the gym or go outside with your older students, I would highly recommend it. Just doesn't happen at my school.

Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:46 pm
MES-Addict

Miseduaction is the hardest this to fight against because most people who think they know will always think they know. Halloween is really based on an ancient New Year's festival that happened to also be the harvest festival. Many countries have such festivals. I said to a director once, "you wanted more culture in class, what did you have in mind other than learning about traditions different from your own?" If you can, eduacte them about what Halloween is and isn't. But good luck because as I said those who "know" the truth will choose to stay in the dark. And even if you have a director who is supportive you may have a few parents resist. I made a small pamphlet once explainging where Halloween came from and debunked some of the false ideas about it. It seemed to work. I also included in it what we would be doing in class. Give it a try if you feel it is worth the fight.

Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:41 am
MES-Addict

Oh, I missed the most important part of the post--the activity idea! I am studying rooms with one grade and I came up with the idea of changing Mark's Treasure Island into a haunted house. All I have to do is create the floorplan for the house and pre-teach some good monsters, ghost, etc. for them to hide. Because of doorways being restrictive I've put in large doorways and made it against the rules to put monster within two squares of each other (or else they will fight). I didn't want them to block doorways or make walls preventing anyone from winning. Naturally the hidden treasure they are trying to find is candy. It should be fun.

Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:49 am
MES-Member

Post Halloween activities
Hello,

I play a simple game called "who's the ghost?". I took a white sheet, sewed up the sides and made two holes for eyes and one for the mouth and drew a ghost face around these holes.

One child goes out of the room and in the mean time another childs quickly puts on the sheet. The child is called back in and has to guess who the ghost is.
I happen to have a witches costume too, so I have two children dressing up at the same time and the child who was outside has to guess who each one is.

Here is a simple song which introduces Halloween vocabulary. It is sung to the tune of Frere Jacques:

Ghosts and pumpkins
Ghosts and pumpkins
Witches too
Witches too
Bats and spiders
Bats and spiders
Can't scare you.

I made a poster with pictures of these words and a colouring sheet.

Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:20 pm
Site Admin

ranabjam - That sounds like a pretty fun game.

I just posted some Halloween word searches incase anybody out there might be interested. www.mes-english.com/flashcards/halloween.php

Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:51 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Addict

Post useful halloween crafts
Hi!

Enter this site http://www.kidsturncentral.com/. You will find funny Halloween crafts to do that will not take you long.

Hope it will be useful! :wink:

Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:21 am
MES-Addict

A quick topic for conversation with your kids might be the image of ghosts in their culture.

When I showed the ghost card from this site to some of my elementary school children (in Japan), in several classes, students did not immidiately recognize what it was. It was a fun 3 minute diversion to ask students what images they think of when they hear the word "ghost". Then have some students draw "a ghost" on the board. It's fun to see what images different cultures associate with an idea.

Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:45 pm
Site Admin

Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:09 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Member

There`s also the Halloween safety game. Don`t know if it`s been posted before, but have a look

http://www.halloweenmagazine.com/play.html

Rasmus

Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:50 pm
MES-Member

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/Home.html

It contains loads of materiale! And is well worth a yearly membership, think it costs about $ 20!

Rasmus

Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:05 am
MES-Zealot!

Anyone have a good spider game?

This is not exactly a 'game', but this is heaps of messy fun for K- 6th graders. I enjoy making edible spider craft with this age group. Decorate a plain circle or oval shape biscuit with icing, then stick various shaped candies on for eyes, mouth and then stick on (with icing, not glue!! :wink: ) 8 candy legs using whatever you have available. The kids love it! They come up with some pretty spooky spiders! I let them take them home or sometimes eat them in class (depending on the rules of the classroom).

Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:04 am
Site Admin

That's a cool idea. It's pretty easy too. All you have to do is get the stuff ready. Did you have black icing? How did you make it? Food coloring?

Anyway, I'll probably pass on that for this year, because I've done cookie decorating before. I had kids decorate their own Christmas cookie at my Christmas party 2 years ago. Anyway, someone brought along the norovirus as a present for everybody. About 20% of the party guests had a rough day the next day, including me. I think the cookie factory was probably the hot area.

I have one spider game i'm going to play, but I could still use another.

Draw a Spider:
- you need one di per student or group, plus one small piece of paper
- students roll their dice and draw a part of the body corresponding to the number rolled

1. a body
2. a head
3. a fang
4. an eye
5. a leg
6. a leg

- Students first need to roll a 'one' to start drawing because you need a body to attach everything to.
- Students only add one of each item at a time (if they roll a 5 they can only draw one leg and they need 8 legs to finish the spider)
- First to finish their spider drawing is the winner

You can make this an English game by inserting some language task between rolls.

I'm going to have them work in groups of 4-6 and the first 2-3 students to finish will get to pull a spider web thread. There may be a prize attached to the end or they might just get a piece of thread :smt012 .

Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:14 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next