MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Article: Myths and misconceptions about L2 learning 
Site Admin

Post Article: Myths and misconceptions about L2 learning
Here's a pretty interesting article about some common myths in SLA. It may not be that big of a revalation for some, but it's worth reading through I think.

MYTHS AND MISCONCEPTIONS ABOUT SECOND LANGUAGE LEARNING: WHAT EVERY TEACHER NEEDS TO UNLEARN
http://www.ncela.gwu.edu/pubs/symposia/ ... lin93.html

Any thoughts?

Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:43 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Addict

Interesting reading Mark. I find my students rate of learning relates to their motivational levels to listen carefully to material being taught and how they participate in the learning and be willing to practice the material regardless of heir age.

I noticed the article date is 1992, I'll ferret around and post any other more recent artilcles I can find reltiong to second language acquisition.

Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:20 am
Interesting read, but the Critical Period Hypothesis also refers to L1 acquisition. There are very few examples, but they exist, of children who were not taught a language. One girl was locked in her basement and deprived of language. The authorities found and saved the girl. She was a goldmine for the linguists who studied her language and her ability to learn language.

The article mentioned a false perception of better English. But what this girl mentioned above learned in six years was a quarter of what a five year old could speak.

The remaining myths are unknown to me, and the final one seems like a straw man. Who really believes that children learn the same way... come on.

Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:58 pm
MES-Member

This article is both interesting and diturbing . It makes you wonder whether all this time, energy and money spent on teaching children a second language at an ever younger age is actually for very little benefit.
The article posted here is from 1992.

On the other hand, an article from 2004 I read on bbc.co.uk recently has a different view on things and the studies in this article indicate that learning a language at an earlier age boosts the brain.

Quote:
People who learned a second language at a younger age were also more likely to have more advanced grey matter than those who learned later, the team said.

"It means that older learners won't be as fluent as people who learned earlier in life.

"They won't be as good as early bilinguals who learned, for example, before the age of five or before the age of 10."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3739690.stm

In addition, my own personal (unscientific) experience is that the children I had been teaching since kindergarten and who are now fourth/fifth grade had a feel for the correct form without having learned the grammatical structure formally, compared to those who were starting English in the fifth and were learning it in a more formal approach .

Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:28 pm
MES-Zealot!

This article is both interesting and diturbing . It makes you wonder whether all this time, energy and money spent on teaching children a second language at an ever younger age is actually for very little benefit

yes I agree, I skimmed through the article and I find some points a little hard to believe, but it is very interesting

I have heard of numerous other studies saying the opposite

hhhmmm?

Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]