MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Recommendation for a Grammar Course Book please. 
MES-Member

Post Recommendation for a Grammar Course Book please.
Hi Everyone,

at the moment I'm taking the perfect pupil; she's bright, interested and motivated and very ambitious. She's 13 and I work with her on a private basis as she wants to be bilingual and lessons at school aren't enough.
We've worked together for a year now and I feel it would be useful to look at the grammar and structure of English. Obviously we study tenses etc but I know that I don't cover everything; I sometimes forget stuff so if anyone there has used a good grammar workbook please pass on the title.

Many thanks.

Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:55 pm
MES-Addict

I just use Grammar series by Jennifer Seidl (Oxford University Press) with two groups (I and II). I think Grammar II would be good for your 13-year-old student. I use the 'old' version, but I know there has been a new edition lately. My students and I like the books: there is a lot of funny stuff.
I also recommend Primary Grammar Box - a different approach to teaching grammar - it works excellent.
Best wishes.

Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:28 pm
MES-Member

Many thanks for the suggestion. I'll have a look...

Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:43 pm
MES-Member

I think if you want to teach grammar systematically, it is good to buy a grammar book in your local book store. I don't know where you are from. Like me, I am in China, when I teach grammar , I go to the book store and see what I can get. I think it is necessary to explain grammar in the students' native language too. That is my opinion.

Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:35 am
MES-Fanatic!

For First Certificate Level I have used a MACMILLAN grammar book " Destination B2 Grammar and Vocabulary" by Malcolm Mann and Steve Taylore-Knowles. They have a Proficiency level book as well entitled Destination C2, which is organized along the same lines. What I like about it is that it is well organized. Two pages of explanation with plenty of examples and then there are exercises. There are 28 Units. The odd number units introduce new grammar, the even number units give practice for the same type of grammar but also provide topic vocabulary in contrast, phrasal verbs, collocations, word patterns, word formation exercises. These two units are followed by a review. I have used it for two years now with excellent results. I assign a unit a time as homework and discuss with the students their mistakes, if any have been made. They revise and improve both their grammar and their vocabulary.
The exercises are of the types found in the Cambridge FCE exam and the Michigan ECCE, London Tests of English (Edexcel)

Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:21 am
MES-Addict

Post Re: Recommendation for a Grammar Course Book please.
Like you i was stuggling to find a good grammar book but my friend has just recommended one to me that was recently brought for her it is called oxford practice grammar and you can buy three levels begginner(which covers up to pre-intermediate) intermediate(intermediate and upper-intermediate levels) and finally advanced. My friend has the one with the cd and she said it is well worth the money as the cd has loads of worksheets you can print off from it.

Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:18 pm
MES-Member

Post Re: Recommendation for a Grammar Course Book please.
Hi! I've used the English Grammar in Use series for a reeeaally long time and all my students love it, even those who don't like grammar!. Everything is explained in a very clear way and the activities really help students to learn all the rules. Another great thing about this series is that students can use it for self-study.

Good luck on your search!

Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:33 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]