MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
fun with teaching prepositions 
MES-Addict

Post fun with teaching prepositions
A fun way I have been teaching Prepositions of both place and movement. first you write this diagram on the board. (subject) (verb) (Preposition) (location)

Then you have a different student fill in each blank until a sentence is formed. Breaking it down like this and then forming the sentence word by word making sure they understand each word individually before you move on really helps them grasp the concept of the sentence as a whole.

The fun part is you test the student's creativity by having them draw a picture of the sentence on the board. they love doing this because usually the sentences they create are wild and make no sense in any physical realm of possibility and are a blast to imagine and draw!!!!

Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:26 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Member

I tried this with my class and it worked very well.

Another that worked well is to divide the class into two teams. Then make one team give up one item each. Team 1 leaves the classroom, while team 2 hides the items. Then team 1 enters and they guess where their items are......but.......NO HUNTING! Unless the answer to a question is yes (30 seconds to hunt after a 'yes' answer makes it more exciting).

Wed May 04, 2011 2:03 pm
MES-Addict

Post Thanks
Thank you very much for your idea. I will use it today. I can see it will surely be a success. and pretty easy to explain!!!

Wed May 04, 2011 5:38 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Addict

My kids also love hiding and looking for different items (I tell younger kids what item is hidden, the older ones first need to guess what object e.g. from the table has 'disappeared'). It really works fantastic: you practise prepositions, asking questions and listening.
Another game about prepositions is 'Treasure Hunt Chain' (the treasure usually means some stickers or sweets :)) I have read about this on a web page. I write some clues on several little cards and hide them according to the clues (you must remember about keeping their order). I give the first clue to one child who reads it and does the task: 1. Pick up the book/box/red bag etc. When the child has done the task it gives the book/box/bag to the next child who reads the next clue
Then, on the book the next clue has been sticked and it says:
2. Open the book on page 23/ open the box/bag etc.
A child opens the book and finds the next clue. He/She gives it to the next child. The next clue says:
3. It's under the table.
And so on... until they find the treasure :)
Where you put the clues depends on your classroom. I'm sure your kids will have a lot of fun with this activity - my children love it. I do it with 6 to 14-year-olds and everybody has fun.

Thu May 12, 2011 4:41 pm
MES-Addict

Post WOW
The treasure chain game sounds so fun!!!!!! I cant wait to do it with all my classes. plus it'll even get those really hard kids to control under control. Thanks so much!!!!

Thu May 12, 2011 7:10 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Member

Prepositions are the easiest to teach of all, all you really need is a toy and a table really. Hide and seek works quite well.

Also, while on the subject, don't forget about warmer and colder (the closer you are to said object, the warmER you are, farther away you get, the coldER) also as a effortless means to explian comparatives, this one is a good game for any class, plus you get to teach a little about culture with this classic gem :mrgreen:

Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:44 pm
MES-Zealot!

Facebook has changed me. Instead of replying to this post I just wanted to like the hide and seek comment. Oh well.

I liked the comment.
:)

Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:30 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Addict

When i teach prepositions I make a set of Uno cards, kids like Uno and when they play their cards they have to use the TL for each card that they place.

Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:16 pm
MES-Member

I like some of the ideas for prepositions in this thread. Thanks.

I like to use a spinner to randomly choose the objects that are used and where they should go. I will generally hide the objects around around the room (like a ball, a teddy bear, a race car). We spin the spinner and the teams race to find the right object and put it in the right place (in the box, on the table, under the chair, etc). It's really fun and gets the students up and running and having a blast.

My students (in China) are particularly fond of the Ultraman and Pleasant Goat toys that I have for this game.

Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:15 am
Profile WWW
MES-Addict

I like the idea with the spinner. Thanks for this one.
I think you can also use two dice. There would be 6 items on one die and 6 places on the other one. Kids roll the first die (with the items like teddy bear, etc) and must find the item in the classroom. They roll the other die and put the found object in the right place (e.g. under the yellow chair).

Thanks once again.

Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]