MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
1st grade EFL cirriculum 
MES-Member

Post 1st grade EFL cirriculum
While I'm at it ...

any ideas for a basic 1st grade EFL cirriculum? I'm in the process of trying to design one for a school I'm going to be teaching at in Honduras. There isn't a ton of resources available to me. The children will have already taken kindergarten and learned (lets hope) the basic alphabet.

I will have them every day for a couple of hours.

Thanks!

Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:21 pm
If you have internet access and a printer you can access loads of free flash cards and with these using games you can run entire lessons - particularly with beginners to lower intermediate.

I have taught mostly with no course book (although I'm not against them at all), exclusively using games just with a few picture cards. I'm not a big fan of making zillions of photocopies anyway!

Even if you don't have picture cards you can have your students make some as long as you at least have pencil and paper.

To make your life easy it's good if you follow a course book anyway, to save you worrying about which language to teach, but you teach the language in that course book with games, and not using the book itself - it's just your guide.

Kind regards
Shelley
Free games and ideas to make teaching children more fun. Receive free games here: www.teachingenglishgames.com

Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:51 am
MES-Zealot!

what ever you do you will find big bright flash cards invaluable!

they are great for teaching and for games etc, I have found the bigger the better (and laminated is best!)

yes the easiest way is to use a textbook like Lets Go (they have Flash Cards too)

:smt004

Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:28 pm
MES-Member

Good ideas. Use the book as a guide, but play games with it. You have to keep kids interested, their attention span isn't too big!

Any specific ideas on games? I'll try that website you listed.

Thanks!

Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:56 am
MES-Addict

Put the flash cards on the floor (like fruits or something) in a row. Have two groups at each end. The first student in each group takes a step onto the flash card and calls out card. They continue until they meet in the middle. When they meet they play rock scissors paper and the loser goes to the back of line and the next student in their group starts. The winner continues until they meet the next student and they play rock scissors paper again. The team who can get someone all the way across to the other side first is the winner.

Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:03 pm
MES-Addict

Have the kids sit in a circle on chairs. Give them each a fruit or any vocab word. Call out on of the vocab words and all of the kids with that word have to get up and change chairs. On the first word take away one of the chairs so on student is left in the middle. That student then calls out a word and all of the kids with that word get up and change chairs. There is also a word that has all of the students get up and change chairs usually that word is fruit basket.

Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:13 pm
MES-Member

Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:28 am
MES-Member

How often will these kids be learning English?

How many students in the class?

damon

Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:30 pm
MES-Member

I will have two classes every day: one of 1st grade and one of 2nd grade. I'm not sure exactly how long each day, but at least two hours a day. I am told an average of 20 students per class.

Almost all of the students I have will have attended kindergarten at the school, which is in English - so they have been exposed to the language and alphabet, etc - but my guess is that while they may understand some English, they do not speak it.

Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]