MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
flex your muscles a bit 
Site Admin

Post flex your muscles a bit
I have an English professor who teaches in Tokyo. She comes to me once a week for conversation classes and to test whether I know what I'm doing. She likes to pose all the questions she can't answer to me.

This week's questions was:

What's he difference in the usages of hurt, injure, and damage:

Situation: A woman had hip surgery on her right leg 3 years ago.

She hurt her good leg trying to support an old injury.
She injured her good leg trying to support an old injury.
She damaged her good leg trying to support an old injury.

Rules:
- You're not allowed to think about this and come back!
- You have to reply right now!

Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:18 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Member

To me, hurt and injure can be used interchangably most of the time. Damage is used mostly for things and places and never for people. That is just me guess, I know there is a better answer, but just my quick 2 cents. I would like to know a complete answer.

Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:46 pm
MES-Member

Hurt can be used for physical as well as emotional and mental distress. Injure, more commonly for what is physical. Feelings are more usually hurt than injured. Damage implies irrepairability. Whereas, hurt or injury can be healed.

Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:28 pm
MES-Member

To hurt, sounds generic, like if you don't know how bad is the injury, I would say "So-and-so got hurt," or for non-physical wounding. Or, it sounds like a not-very-serious wounding, cuts and bruises type.

To injure makes me think of a serious hurt, the kind that won't heal with bandaids, like broken bones or torn muscles, etc.

To Damage makes me think in terms of 'function', so I would be trying to say "I cannot use it because I hurt it." It would be a serious injury, too.

:D

Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:41 pm
Site Admin

I said 'hurt' and 'injure' are comparable in usage, but 'injure' seems more serious than 'hurt'.

'Damage' is used for things that are unrepairable.

She hurt her good leg trying to support an old injury.
- not so serious

She injured her good leg trying to support an old injury.
- sounds serious, like she'll have a difficult time for a while

She damaged her good leg trying to support an old injury.
- sounds serious an the problem won't heal or the effect is lasting

Context plays a big part. The usage changes if we're talking about feelings or inanimate objects as Revrw, Mikat and Noriko pointed out. Also, I don't know that my answer is right. I didn't look it up. I just answered the above and told her I'd check with you guys.

Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:33 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Addict

On the spot I would say hurt and injure are similar but injure usually would refer to something more serious that could be found in a medical journal or that last a long time. Where hurt can could be anything that causes pain. Damage would be for objects or a very specific body part such as ligaments

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:50 pm
MES-Addict

Tough one! Especially on the spot...I'm inclined to agree with your analysis, Mark, but...I'm not an expert. :(

However, the U of Delaware has a grammar helpline for this very sort of situation!!! :-D

http://www.udel.edu/eli/grammar.html

Just e-mail 'em and ta-da!
...the only downside is that it takes a while to get an answer sometimes. But, they do answer the questions!! Perhaps misguided :wink: but I trust the answers I get from the beyond somewhere in Delaware!

Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:37 pm
MES-Addict

Injure means that you have incurred some kind damage that will have to heal. An injury is not permanent and is usually caused through some sort of 'accident'. Injury does not signify disease.
I would say that 'damage' and 'injure' are interchangeable, but that injure refers to people, while damage refers to things.
Hurt and injure usually go hand in hand, but something can hurt without being injured (e.g. headache, arthritic hands, stomachache).

....I dunno. That's just off the top of my head!

Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:08 pm
MES-Member

Don`t forget that hurt is more amorphous. You can use it to refer to emotional state. Although I suppose injurious can be used to refer to emotional states.

damon

Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]