MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Genkie English 
MES-Addict

Post Genkie English
I don't know if this is wrong to ask this question on this site and if I am out of line I apologize. I really do appreciate the open sharing of information in this forum. I am hoping to get an honest appraisal of something.

Currently I use a phonics based system in my school which the kids learn to read very well without memorization. It can be a bit dry so, over the past year I have tried adding many different things to spice up the lessons.

I am thinking of purchasing the Genkie English songs as a suppliment to the current curriculum I teach. I am curious if anyone has used these songs before. If you have used them for a while what is the long term results of the program? would you choose it again, or is there something else that you would recommend?

Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:37 am
MES-Fanatic!

I haven't used the Genki english songs but I do find that fun songs are a good teaching tool with children up to about age 10 or 11. After that pop songs are quite useful. If you decide not to buy the Genki English then have a look on youtube for songs - you can get some good ones on there. I recommend some of the Peter Weatherall songs.

I have a question for you. What is the phonics course that you are using that works well. I am looking for a good phonics based reading curriculum at the moment.

Thanks.

Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:37 am
Site Admin

I use the Spectrum readers with my students. The workbooks have 100+ pages with reading passages and great pictures for discussion and help with understanding.

The only problem for me is the actual size of the books, 100+ pages. I just can't get through the books fast enough with the limited time that I have. So, I just do parts, only the readings and maybe give the exercises as homework.

The workbooks are about $10 each, a great price for the usefulness.

Duffin, contact Richard at Genki English. See if he can send you a sample CD or a couple sample songs to try out. Maybe they have an online "listen only" program you can try.

www.dreamenglish.com has free downloads and a phonics section. It's a little different from GE style. There might be something there you can use.

Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:54 am
Profile WWW
MES-Addict

I use the underway system. It is really good for teaching phonics, but I am not sure how much I like the grammar section that teaches them different patterns.

I have a lot of kids whose speaking is not very good. I am trying many things with differnt classes to improve their speaking and conversation. I am hoping that adding songs will aid that but I am not sure.

Do you have any ideas for things to add to the class to improve kids speaking? How do you get the kids to speak more?

Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:02 pm
MES-Zealot!

I am using Genki English and am very happy with it. I've tried other materials, but I've had the most success by far with GE. The songs all have catchy tunes that stay with you all day.

http://genkienglish.net/songs.htm

Try it with another language:

http://www.genkienglish.net/learntospea ... /danke.htm

I've been surprised at how much they can remember and produce. I use the video to introduce the theme and it has made such a big difference. My kids love the graphics and it helps make the language comprehensible to the students.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_QBBESu ... re=channel

There is no guessing and since the songs are repetitive, the language sticks! It is ideal for once a week type classes. You hardly have to do any prep.

For more frequent classes, you can easily pick and choose the songs to use as a supplement your existing program. and if you buy the whole set, you have access to all the flashcards, storybooks, game sheets, mini cards and of course the software for all the songs. You really can't beat the price for all that you get with the package.
Here is a Thai game example:

http://www.GenkiThai.com/

GE just recently came out with a phonics program. It seems like a fun way to introduce students to the written words.

http://genkienglish.net/phonics.htm

(sorry for all the links. I think you really have to listen and see for yourself to know what GE is all about. I am not affiliated with GE. These links came from an intro page I wrote for my BoE. )

Mark, thanks for the Spectrum recommendation. I am looking for ways to move from sounding out words to reading and this looks like a good source. What do others use for emergent readers?

Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:50 am
MES-Addict

I don't have a comment on Genkie English as I have never used it, but i could talk about your second question about getting kids to speak.

I think you are on the right track with singing as it is a fun way to get everyone speaking at the same time.

Also, consider plays/performances. My school has been working on The Wizard of Oz this week, and my teachers are getting them to combine acting and singing (Ding Dong the Witch is Dead...)

They are really having fun with it, and it will build their speaking confidence when they finally perform it on Friday.

I also like reading out loud because it models speaking and is easy to get participation, but with younger kids and bigger class sizes, you may be in trouble with that one.

Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:10 am
Profile WWW
MES-Addict

If you have any more questions about Genki English then please do let me know, I'll try and help where I can.

The University of Newcastle have been trialing Genki English along with Jolly Phonics in India and China and it's been great in giving the kids a good foundation of words, sounds and phrases to build on with the phonics, as well as getting them able to converse in English etc.

Be genki,

Richard

Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:39 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]