MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Dyslexia and ESL 
MES-Member

Post Dyslexia and ESL
Hi,

though I work occasionally for Education National in France most of my work is with individuals or small groups. This year I've been asked to teach reading which I mentioned in another thread and also to teach English to a 12 year old French boy, or rather to support the English he's learning at school.
I'm interested in learning about how to help dyslexic children anyway but the fact that this is ESL will make it more interesting and challenging. I've been researching courses and methods through the holidays but most courses are too expensive and, of course, I can't absent myself for too long or I'll lose all my pupils!
So, I have two questions/requests.
Has anyone out there gone the same route and what materials did you find useful? I've been looking especially at the Orton-Gillingham method which seems popular in the States but isn't mentioned on British sites.
And, secondly, there is a distance learning course called Dyslexia Teaching Certificate which looks promising but how can I tell if it's for real?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated..

Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:42 pm
MES-Member

I am only an Austrian FL teacher but I wrote my master's thesis and I'm currently writing my doctoral thesis on dyslexia an foreign language learning.
the only course you found can really be recommanded.
WHat is important for your student is to break language into small bits and pieces. So that he gets the structure of the language. Make clear to him that an -s at the end can mean sth etc.
For more information look at the following internet site: www.interdys.com - that's the official home page of the International Dyslexia Association.
I've to rush but if you're interested in further information, let me know...

Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:00 am
MES-Addict

Thanks for this information. Last year I had an ESL student who was dyslexia. I bumbled through the year on my own. I did try to work with him on phonics but he didn't seem to catch on to that so I focused him on memorizing sight words. I taped the letters and numbers that were difficult for him to write on his desk for him to refer to as he needed. That seemed to help him gain confidence. I am exited about for some resources for future reference. Thanks.

Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:51 am
MES-Member

Post Thanks
Thank you very much for the information. In the beginning I tried phonics but at 12 years old he's resistant to new methods so I work with memorising words and spellings. It's a slow process and the grammar is pretty hard too.
However, it's become clear that his mother wants him taught so that he can pass into the next class rather than teach him to speak English. It's a bit disappointing from my point of view but I can understand.

I'll check out the links and may well get back to you.

Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:37 am
MES-Addict

I've been tutoring one of my students with dyslexia so that she stays caught up with the rest of the class. We've used Dancing Bears (reading) text to help with her reading. They teach vowel patterns (oa, ai,) with flashcards. She was 10 when we started and I went back to the beginning book. It has really helped her.

We also worked on memorizing how to read and spell the sight words. If your student can do that, it will make reading much smoother.

The other thing I do with her that builds confidence and fluency is to have her read for 1 minute and time how many words and mistakes she makes. I'd start with easy text and then build up. Using the same text 4-5 times encourages the student to improve each time. It also makes easy homework.

My daughter has dyslexia and started reading and writing English after being in a Japanese school until age 10. I had tried every program I knew of as well as getting my masters in reading intervention. The Apples and Pears (spelling) program was the only thing that really worked with her. I know there are many great programs for dyslexia (All About Spelling is supposed to be great, too), but this worked for us and it is cheap!

Hope this helps some.

Juli

Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]