MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Which Method to Teach Reading 
MES-Member

Post Which Method to Teach Reading
This is my first post so hello to everyone. It's nice to be "official" after lurking for so long.

Now to my question: I will be taking a group of 4 x7 year olds in September to teach them to read and write in English. All the children are English mother tongue but all are being educated in the French system and have already learned to read in French so which method should I use to teach them?

I'd really welcome any suggestions as it's many years since I taught reading..

Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:32 am
MES-Member

How well do they read in French? If they can read in one language, then the skill transfer to another language is much easier than learning to read from scratch. You only learn to read once in your lifetime. Adding languages is skill transfer.

For writing, work with simple passages in English - a description of something they are familiar with, or a short recount of an event they have taken part in. Model the structure for them, including using the sounds of English (as compared to the sounds of French)

For reading, work with similar short passages. Model the reading to them (can you get of hold of some big books or good quality picture books to use as example?) and tell them what you are doing, how you are tackling the words and so on. Get them to come up and try.

As always, praise and encourage.

Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:18 pm
MES-Member

Post Thanks
Thank you for replying. That's very helpful.

Yes the pupils can apparently read well in French and I'm planning to use The Oxford Reading Tree with them as I was given the series.
The last time I did this I used a look and say method as the girl in question could read in French and was 9 years old but I ran into problems with her so this time I thought I'd try phonics but am not so well up on the method...a lot of the material Mark has here on phonics is so attractive that I'd love to use it :)

Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:53 pm
Site Admin

I've use phonics and whole reading with my own children. They are fluent speakers or English and Japanese and can read Japanese well.

I've used the phonics worksheets on Fun Fonix.com and worked with children's books reading together. Sometimes having them read what I just read or having them read first.

As a game, you can read a bit and stop suddenly. They have to continue or if you have a group the first one to continue the sentence to the end gets a point.

Sorry, I have to run. I'll try to get back to you with more later.

Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:35 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Member

Thank you, Mark. I'd certainly welcome your input. I'm feeling slightly out of my depth here though I've been reading round the subject.

Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:08 am
MES-Fanatic!

I am also interested in methods to teach reading. I am teaching 9 year old Koreans and we are just starting to read. The curriculum calls for teaching whole word reading (before the students learn the alphabet but that is a whole other issue!) which is working well for some students.

However, I have quite a few students who cannot read the words that we have been learning. They can read them when there is only a few words to choose from but as soon as you give them a longer list they can't recognise the words. So I am thinking about trying phonics for these students but I don't really know the best way to go about it.

The students do now know the alphabet pretty well and they also know the initial sound phonics but I don't know the best way to put these together with reading. I am planning on using the fun fonix stuff but am very open to any more ideas on how to teach reading as I am also feeling a bit out of my depth in this aspect.

Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:35 am
MES-Addict

In China I find many students are not interested, or find it too hard, to read English and they learn to "parrot" the good students. To overcome this I start any new passage with me reading it once and they listen. Next I read it in small parts of 2 or 3 words and they repeat. Continue like this a few times until the sentences are longer. This still leaves it open for some to just listen and repeat, but I then play whay I call next word. I read and suddenly stop (next word is called out and the students raise their hands to tell me the next word is) "reading". If they can't follow or watch they stand and are given first chance to say the next word when I stop. As most children here are competetive and hate to 'lose face', they soon start to follow each word closely. After this exercise I explain I am a pooir reader and often make mistakes and need them to help me out. The sentence may say "My brother likes to ride his red bicycle" and I will read out "My brother can ride his blue bicycle" and the students must correct me. I found once they unstood the idea they listened more closely and followed each word with their fingers so they could get the right answers. Hope this small idea helps.

Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:02 pm
MES-Member

Post Phonics
An update to my original post in case anyone would find the information useful:
I opted for phonics in the end which turned out to be a no-brainer really as the method is so much easier than whole word/look and say..whatever. I invested in the Jolly Phonics handbook and some of the Jolly Phonics material which I find very user friendly and the children like it too though we have only got as far as the 2nd group of sounds so far.

Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]