MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
teaching pronunciation, 8 year old private student 
MES-Member

Post teaching pronunciation, 8 year old private student
Hi All,

I'm hoping I can get some advice on teaching pronunciation. For the next month, I will be teaching a private class for one of my 8 year old students. I am only allowed to teach pronunciation - no reading (although she can't read much at all), writing, new vocab, or grammar. I can only focus on producing correct English sounds. The conversation school normally teaches pronunciation by having students repeat sounds to a rhythm from a beatbox every lesson for 3-5 minutes.

I am really struggling to find fun ways to essentially make noises for 50 minutes. Her level is very low, so she doesn't have a lot of vocabulary.

Things I have thought of so far: slap for flashcards with a certain sound, a boardgame type activity where the student has to move her piece by saying the correct word, maybe some tpr type things to help her make long and short vowel sounds.

Any suggestions or advice?

Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:11 am
MES-Addict

I think it's quite difficult to teach a child only pronunication for 50 minutes :) That's a challenge, isn't it?

Firtsly, I'd suggest a lot of chants, songs and rhymes - you can choose the ones that have the sounds you are concentrating on. It would be good to find ones with movement, so that you would not just sit but also move a little bit.

Next, I'd use a lot of card games - there are plenty of ideas on MES site, or here on the forum. You should also look at Mark's Fun Fonix ideas - I'm sure you won't be disappointed and you'll be able to adapt the ideas to your needs.
With cards you can of course try games like: find the words that begin with... or end with...; point to a word that rhymes with...

Introduce a little ball to your lesson and have your student catch it every time she hears a certain sound. A ball is even good when you want your student to repeat words or sounds after you - it is not just sitting, it involves doing something - it always helps.

Have your student stand next to the door - her aim is to come to the window (for example) - she can take two steps forward if she hears a word that begins, or ends, or rhymes with... , if she does not move, because the word does not begin, end, or rhyme with... let her take one step forward; if she makes a mistake she must take twosteps backwards.

I love the Cambridge Copy Collection - they also published Primary Pronunciation Box accompanied by a CD - it is really helpful and it's got 3 levels so I'm sure the book would be useful on your lessons.

Best wishes

Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]