MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Which textbooks! 
MES-Addict

Post Which textbooks!
Which textbooks do you use for kids 6-12 who are beginners or have been studying for a few years. They are in small classes (2-5 kids) and come once a week for 60 minutes.

Thanks,
Juli

Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:00 pm
MES-Addict

I don't really use textbooks - I prefer using resource books for teachers and with photocopiable material. I get easily bored and when you use textbooks you don't change them often. Every year I prepare a kind of curriculum for my students and use also a lot of the things that you can find here on MES site. I run my own school of English and have introduced using file folders - not copybooks. My students collect all the handouts (they are divided into sections, e.g. My Animals, or My Family, etc) and at the end of the year they've got their own books. I also make Lapbooks with children up to 12-13 years old. We decide on the subject, collect material on the Internet or from their own resources and prepare mini-books; next we glue everything into Lapbooks - they are really fantastic and kids love them. They are very proud when they see their effort in the form of colourful hand-made books.

What's more? I love Cambridge Primary Box series. I also recommend quite an old publication: Do and Understand by G. Gerngross and H. Puchta

Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:16 pm
MES-Addict

I think something like this depends on how much prep time you have. If you are short of time you are probably better getting to the local book shop or online and choosing a book. If you have time for preparation you can look for resources online or make your own.

This website has alot of worksheets that either come pre-made or can be customized to your tastes.

Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:44 pm
MES-Addict

I also prefer making my own material or combining stuff from the Internet and other resources. Most textbooks have either too little hours per course, or, on the other hand, too many of them.
So, for example, with my 4 and 5 year-olds I used Cool! Starter last year (which is intended for 35 teaching hours, and we had 65!) as a 'base' textbook, and added my material according to the seasons, holidays, learned vocabulary, etc.

Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:32 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]