MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
How many of you teachers give presents/prizes? 
MES-Member

i have a friend that gives out tokens for good work - when they have 20 tokens they get a sticker for their sticker chart and when they have 20 stickers they get an award (certificate) or a prize.

you can give different amounts of tokens for different work.

The kids learn to work all the time as they may get tokens and they work really hard on their books as tokens are given out randomly.

this also means that they are working towards something its not just the initial reward

Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:47 pm
MES-Addict

Having in the past had about 900 students to deal with in my week, presents just weren't practical.

They get big smiles, and kind words, and if enough of them do something good, I retitle the game I was going to play anyhow in class, a prize for good work.

In smaller classes, I have all my students write their name on the board at the begining of class. If they do something well, or win a game, they can draw a star by their name. This also works as a bit of a discipline also, as if they are bad, or lose a game, they can lose a star - or get minus points.

I don't keep tally - they just like to see it for themselves. Keeps them happy, and it is a free motivator.

Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:16 pm
MES-Member

I give stickers to the winners of some activities. usually i give stickers (seals) to the members of the winning group or to the top 5 scorers.

Now I started using stamp cards and when the students finish each paper (20 stamps) I would give them bookmarks (from www.123certificates.com ). :D

these rewards really motivate the students. Ofcourse i do not give stickers for every acitivity (that's a nice way to get broke :lol: ) much as i want to.

I get the stamp cards from stickersandcharts.com

MES-english is a lifesaver!!! :-D

Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:11 pm
MES-Addict

Post Rewards
I usually give out student of the month certificates, at the end of the year the student with the most wins a prize.

Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:07 pm
MES-Addict

I do stickers, even for my 15 year olds. They love them. I try to get the most childish, cute stickers I can. Like Winny the Pooh and what not. I just give out like 5 a class and they look forward to the moment when they can get a chance to win one. They keep them on their books, like battle scars or something. I'm not sure, but it gets my shy junior high kids talking.

Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:29 pm
MES-Addict

Another one I have seen is teachers who give out some sort of tokens which kids can use at an auction at the end of the year. The auction is just for all the old stuff the teachers don't want, like staplers, pencil cases, scissors, mostly craft stuff. Sometimes an t-shirt or something, but nothing that justifies how nuts the kids go to try and get some of it.

Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:32 pm
Post Giving Presents while teaching english to students
I have tried this and students just love it and it doesn't cost much to the teachers:

While Teaching English as a Foreign Language I also try to teach the students about American and British Culture. As part of this effort I made students understand the importance of Christmas and Thanks Giving followed by giving them greeting cards (probably home made) or something symbolic of that festivals.

This works great to keep students involved and making the class more interesting for both students and the teachers.

Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:25 pm
MES-Member

Post Presents
Kids love rewards, and they don't have to be huge...
They will learn the phrase "Are you hungry?" in no time if you bring in crackers or something easy to share...
Stickers are super, but don't give them out all the time or they lose their 'value'. Or you can offer different qualities of stickers for different accomplishments.
Don't forget! - Make the kids ask for their rewards politely and specifically!
Offering 'teacher bucks' (counterfeit currency- significantly altered to avoid legal problems!!!) will allow them to save up for larger items over a prolonged period of classes (cool erasers, pencils, notebooks, etc...), and create interest in foreign currency!

Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:36 pm
MES-Member

There are some really good ideas for bribing the kids here!

I make free homework day passes for my kids, usually for winners of games and things. I don`t give them out often and it is usually for the classes which I know will give me trouble! :x So I flash the free homework passes at the start of class and they all start listening to me!

Magic!

Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:09 pm
MES-Member

Post English Passport
At my School kids get stickers in a Sticker book (english passport) when they do something good, every page (12 stickers) they get one chance to get something from the lucky dip(I put a stamp randomly on each page), then when the book is full (about 10 pages?) they get a small present (books, games etc that I buy cheaply when I am back in Australia)

If anyone would like to print it out feel free, I just uploaded it to my website
www.littleking.jp then click English and then teaching Resources.

Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:09 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Member

I give my JHS students stickers. I tend to give them to students that volunteer to perform something to the class. I also give stickers to students who help demonstrate an activity with me or the Japanese teacher. I usually don't award stickers for students who win games.

Like chtheatrix, I have different levels of stickers for different degrees of achievement from simple small color stickers through to large Disney character stickers. But the the most coveted sticker is an original sticker with my face drawn on it. For some unknown reason the kids love these.

Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:59 am
MES-Member

Post Re: How many of you teachers give presents/prizes?
At the beginning of the course I would give students a blank sticker sheet (these were young learners). They would receive stickers though out the course. At the end of the course I would prepare a goodie grab bag. It would be filled with pencils, trinkets, erasers, stickers, small toys from the stationary story, writing pads, and the sort.

The more stickers a student received the more times s/he could draw from the bag.

90 to 100 stickers = 5 draws
80 to 90 stickers = 4 draws
70 to 80 stickers = 3 draws
60 to 70 stickers = 2 draws
50 to 60 stickers = 1 draws

The students would get in a line, from the greatest number of stickers to the lease.

Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:59 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Addict

I use fake money and bankbooks with a store they can shop at. It has gotten bigger and bigger. I have about 100 students so it's expensive but hey...that's what moneys for.

They are a buck of little Warren buffets now. Saving, spending and negotiating better than i could when I was a kid ;)

The tag "money laundering" has more info on my site

Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:38 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Member

Post in favor of giving gifts
I give my students gifts if they get a perfect score during major exams. It's a great way to motivate them. I also give little treats (book or card) if it's their birthday. It's my way of telling them they're special.

Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:38 am
MES-Zealot!

I must say, I am surprised how many teachers give prizes etc
I never have.

Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next