MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
How many of you teachers give presents/prizes? 
MES-Zealot!

I love your stickers! If you don't mind explaining to a technologically challenged person, how do you print them into stickers?

Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:49 pm
Site Admin

You need to get sticker paper from the local stationary shop. There are formatted sheets (pre-cut) and just single sheets. Don't get the formatted sheets. They are easier to use (no cutting) but harder to find exact matches for the layout.

You'll print right onto that sticker paper. Put the sticker paper in the paper tray, hit print and then just cut them up. You should be able to find sticker paper for less than $0.10 (10 yen) and there are at least 30 stickers per page.

Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:06 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Addict

Post stamps
sometimes giving rewards is fine if used sparingly. i sometimes use 1 penny stamps. they cost less than the stickers here compared to if i buy them in japan. some stamps have some meaning so they get to learn something else, too, which is an extra bonus.

Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:03 pm
MES-Zealot!

Post Sometimes I give sweets ( candy )
Hello,

I'm a teacher here in Switzerland and I've
found that my kids like stickers but I also
think I'll try to buy some little prizes...erasers, etc
and try to get away from giving the kids
too much candy.

I do give out sweets or candy when playing a
Bingo game ....otherwise I avoid it as
they go too crazy!! You would think that
these kids had never had sweets before the
way they carry on.

So, I try to avoid that and do shake their
hands and give lots of praise and they seem
very happy with that for the moment. :D

Actually, no one has asked for a Bingo game
in ages....so that's very positive. :-D

Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:47 pm
MES-Member

Now thats a really good subject to discuss because for two years now with my teaching experience i've spent half of my salary each and every month on gifts and prizes for my students. I'm getting outta control i guess. Am i spoiling them too much? i give stuff like stickers, coloring books, and sometimes expensive kids magazines.
I noticed that the behaviour of my students is changing when i give so many gifts for every activity we do! They kinda take it for granted that they will recieve gifts and sometimes they come and ask to exchange one gift with another!
I'm trying to be more strict now and give gifts for fewer times with special activities.
any advice? am willing to listen.
thanks

Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:37 pm
MES-Zealot!

Here's an interesting podcast by Dr. Krashen that includes giving rewards to encourage reading. Good food for thought..

http://www.speedofcreativity.org/?p=1302

Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:51 pm
MES-Addict

For Miss Bashayer, I think having to spend more than $5 a month on prizes means you're putting too much stock into the prize itself rather than the motivation behind it and that extra money you're spending is probably going over the students heads, especially considering they're trading with each other sometimes.

What might work better is to give away prize coupons and then have a raffle at the end of every month or the semester, depending on how long they can maintain motivation for a delayed reward (if they're younger, probably once a month should be your maximum time frame, whereas Junior High kids could probably hold out for the semester as long as the prizes are worthy). And of course, just because you're giving the prizes away less frequently doesn't mean they have to be really expensive. For example, haven't actually tried it myself, but another teacher who used to keep stuffed animals on her desk apparently raffled off the collection of stuffed animals she'd keep on her desk at the end of her tenure in Japan, and the kids really got excited to work for those raffle tickets knowing they might get to take home one of those cute toys they'd been seeing on her desk all year.

Just my 2 cents, hope it helps you save some money!

Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:35 pm
MES-Fanatic!

I give out stickers for challenge time... challenge time is when I ask the students either greeting questions, such as what day is it, what month it it... etc but then I ask challenging ones like 'In what seoson do you go skiing?' or 'In what weather do you carry an umbrella?' the one who answers the question correctly gets a sticker... Also at the end of games/activities....

Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:15 pm
MES-Zealot!

For Miss Bashayer, I think having to spend more than $5 a month on prizes means you're putting too much stock into the prize itself rather than the motivation behind it and that extra money you're spending is probably going over the students heads, especially considering they're trading with each other sometimes.

What might work better is to give away prize coupons and then have a raffle at the end of every month or the semester, depending on how long they can maintain motivation for a delayed reward (if they're younger, probably once a month should be your maximum time frame, whereas Junior High kids could probably hold out for the semester as long as the prizes are worthy). And of course, just because you're giving the prizes away less frequently doesn't mean they have to be really expensive. For example, haven't actually tried it myself, but another teacher who used to keep stuffed animals on her desk apparently raffled off the collection of stuffed animals she'd keep on her desk at the end of her tenure in Japan, and the kids really got excited to work for those raffle tickets knowing they might get to take home one of those cute toys they'd been seeing on her desk all year.

Just my 2 cents, hope it helps you save some money!

I like the raffle coupons idea!!! I'll be the first to ring in that I'm stealing it!!!!!

Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:34 pm
MES-Fanatic!

Post candy
I try to play lots of games in each class, and i start off with writing students names on the board,and with each game we play kids earn points and by the end of the lesson we take a look at the scoring, now this is what i do for those who win most points, instead of giving a present or something i bring a bag of goodies,,,sweets, chocolate,cookies, things that kids like to munch on and the student with most points gets to pick from the bag first,and then i just do the same with the next student who came second and i do this until each student has picked something, that way there is no "real winner" that everyone is a winner, plus, this is kept orderly,you dont have a million hands dipping into the bag at once, which can lead to problems, if two kids want the same thing,then everyones happy,this works well for me, it may only be a simple candy to US adults, but to kids, to have their chance to pick what THEY want, is fun.

Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:48 am
MES-Zealot!

What I do is give excellent stamps. I have a stamp with a thumbs up and the word excellent. When they have accumulated 20 stamps they get a small prize.

I used to give a prize to the student at the end of the month with the most. However there were students whoo knew they would never have the most they didn't care about them. So I changed to the above mentioned. Now even the lower level or unmotivated students can eventually acquire enough.

Students get a stamp for doing their homework, winning a game, sometimes for helping me, speaking good English, cleaning up the classroom with out being asked, etc.

On the flip side they can lose a stamp if they don't do there homework, speak too much Korean, get out of their chair a lot, don't listen to the teacher, etc.

For the boys the prize is usaully 2 packs of these game cards they like. They cost me less than a dollar for both packs. But some times I give them a cool pencil or something.

For the girls stickers, little trinkets young girls tend to like, etc.

Sometimes I give out snacks as a prize or reward, but never candy. They eat enough junk. I wouldn't want anyone give my kids junk food.

I'll give out a slice of apple or orange. I tried carrots and celery, but you can imagine how that went over.

When I work with my partner teacher he gives out nuts (walnuts, cashews, almonds, pumkin and sunflower seeds. The kids really seem to enjoy these.

For now I put the stamps in the back of their book, but next semester I'm going to make a chart and put it on the wall so the children can see their progress and compare with others.

This will also make my life easier. Sometimes the students try n ot to let me take a dstamp away and it gets tedious. If it's on the wall they can't do much about it. Also, I can get kids to calm down, stop speaking Korea, etc, just by making the gesture that I am about to cross a stamp out. Also the whole class will see who is getting a stamp and I can explain why.

Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:17 pm
MES-Zealot!

Now thats a really good subject to discuss because for two years now with my teaching experience i've spent half of my salary each and every month on gifts and prizes for my students.

That is far too much, IMO.

you must be exagerating?

Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:20 am
MES-Addict

Post Photos
I take photos of my students -while performing, singing, having a lesson, at Christmas, Easter, in costumes - choose the best-funniest ones and make a copy for each student. They have to do sth in order to get the photo -participate a lot for example or make their silent partner talk. It really works!

Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:38 pm
MES-Member

Quote:
Now thats a really good subject to discuss because for two years now with my teaching experience i've spent half of my salary each and every month on gifts and prizes for my students.

That is far too much, IMO.

you must be exagerating?

yes that seems like way too much - prizes/rewards should be something earnt not something taken for granted. Which is why i like the collecting a number of stamps for a reward idea.

When i was teaching kindergarten - i would have stamp charts. They would get a stamp for e.g. sitting down quietly on the floor, doing a job well, and you could just hand them out and other students would take notice. They were not given out for any specific purpose however would occasionally go "i have 5 stamps to give out before lunch lets see who will get them". This means you can also monitor and ensure that every student gets a stamp occasionally and you can also recognize different student behaviors.

Then when they collected 10 stamps - they would get a lucky dip - which was just things bought from the $2 in a box - e.g. rubbers, pencils, small dinosaurs, bracelets etc. This would be done on Friday every week for everyone who accumulated 10 stamps - on the day they reach 10 stamps they also get a special sticker e.g. smelly ones, to take home as well since they have to wait for friday.

Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:31 pm
MES-Member

Post Re: How many of you teachers give presents/prizes?
Well, I made a small board though. I taped it on the wall. If they do well, for example, they hand in their homework on time or they pay more attention during class. I usually give them two or three apples. But you should make some apples first. But they don't do well, you can get their apples.(you know it really works, you don't need to shout but save your energy.) Once they get 100 apples, they can have a pizza party :-D

Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:01 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next