MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
How many of you teachers give presents/prizes? 
MES-Addict

I don't like the idea of giving reward just to one or two students. I remember such thing when I was at school: I was ambitious and felt really bad if I didn't get the reward. I prise my students with positive feetback, attention and sometimes giving them WELL DONE stamps for homeworks. The only exceptions are christmas quizzes and games (I do them every year)I prise the winning team with chocolate and the losing one too. I usually have two different sorts and the winning team have the right to chose but nobody feels a loser :)

Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:17 am
MES-Addict

Post Rewards!
When I started out teaching here in China I gave both candy and stickers to my students for doing well and effort both in the class room and for home work. I soon stopped the candy reward for the same reasons as other posters here. I now use a varity of stickers and I make bookmarkers and hand them out. They are all happy with these prizes. also if you have a supply of stamps, students love them too.

Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:14 pm
Profile YIM
MES-Member

usually i never hand out any prizes et al, except for holiday time. this christmas i handed out christmas cards... the kids enjoyed them for they didnt know exactly what they were... in addition, i realized the kids (or their parents) didnt know about the grinch who stole christmas!!! hahaha...

also, for their homework, i put either a stamp or a sticker on their homework for a job well done...

Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:52 am
MES-Addict

Post stickers in class
I use a similar method of writing the kids name on the board with a little scale next to it. If they win a game or just do something well, the magnet next to the scale is moved up. If the misbehave it goes down. At the end of the class whoever has there magnet in the top half of the scale gets to choose a sticker, and those in the bottom half get nothing. Actually I cheat and everone gets a sticker by the end unless the have gone completely nuts.

It is mainly for the rowdy classes or kids so that they have some direct feedback for bad and good behaviour. Sometimes the magnet goes into the "red zone" but usually with enough time left in the class for them to do something good to save the day.

It works reasonably well as most of my kids are between 4-9although it can be tough in the first week if kids think that they are not going to get a sticker and don't realise that they still have time to win a game or pronounce something well, etc. (One kid was kicking the wall and crying for 5 mins the first time I tried this.) It is just a matter of explaining it simply.

hope this helps.

Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:40 pm
MES-Member

I don't give prize to my pupils. but on specific days (for example, halloween, christmas, saint patrick...), we do some "do-it-yourself". pupils are very happy to bring it home.

Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:55 pm
MES-Zealot!

I have a student of the week with my 5-7 year old class. (Just one class a week anyway) and give away a cheap present. I went to a $1.25 store and bought 25 toys for little kids each for $1.25. I give one away a week to those two classes. I also have a 7-9 year old class and they can earn the chance to select a present from the treasure chest when they have collected 10 stamps. (one class a week, they can earn up to 2 stamps a class, but usually just one and sometimes none) With my 10-12 year olds I do the same, but since they have classes twice a week, they have to earn more stamps. They usually like the erasers pencils and such rather than the toys, but I let them choose.

I just started this system this semester, so we'll see how it goes.

Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:44 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Member

It is really important te reward or prize the students, I work with children and they love to receive prizes, so I use that.
For behavior control, I organized my classroom in 5 teams, and I have a small whiteborad where I put the numbers of the team, every time they participate or they are working nice, neta, organized I draw a happy face next to the theam's number, if they missbehave too much I draw a sad face instead, one sad face will ewliminate 2 happy faces. I do this duriong the whole class, at the end of the class I count the faces and anounce the winner of the day, We keep a record of the winners during the week, on Friday we count the winners, and the groups whon more times during the week get 10 minutes of extra reccess. They love this prize, and they would do anything to gain those minutes.

Another prize that I use, is that each student has a duty during the week, and I keep a daily record chart at the end of the week, we go over the chart to see who was doing the job right and who deserve a prize, then I have Menu ( this is an idea I found in internet last year) where they can choose their prize.
. Sit next to the teacher duriong lunch time
.Work on theacer's desk
.No homework pass
Taking a book from the reading corner home.
Sit with my friend for one day

As you see I love giving prizes, but not materials ones, of course stickers I buy tons of them, because kids love them.

Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:56 pm
MES-Member

Well definitely no sweets...

I gladly share my experience with all of you and hope it can be of any help!!

Each of my children have a "good behaviour / good participation" sheet with their name and 8 grids horizontally and 4 vertically = 32 grids. At the end of each lesson (I have 8 children maximum/hour and once a week, mainly split into 2 categories= from 3-6/7 and 6/7 to 10), it is "stamps" time.

They have two stamps to choose from: one "lucky" and one "smiley".
At the same time we practise this vocabulary and I ask "Julian, would you like a lucky or a smiley?" Julian then answers "A smiley please!"
In time, they even want to stamp themselves.
When a child is out of control and disrupts the class, the group decides if he/she deserves a stamp or not, and it works perfectly (so I am not the boo person :) )

When one row is finished, the child can choose a "surprise" from a treasure box (items around 1€). At the fourth completed row, the surprise can then be chosen from another treasure box (items till 5€).
When page is done I laminate it and they take it proudly home.

It works for me and the children but I am aware that this is not possible for everyone :wink:

To give you an idea, for the groups I started in April 2006, most of them have completed 3 rows.

For those living in Germany, I buy the items from Kik, Lidl, Aldi and Thomas Phillips, they always have great discounted staff from Disney, pens, colouring books, etc.

The very same groups just also completed 1st book, and they will be taking home a certificate (123certificates) next week, before Easter vacation.

I take this opportunity to thank Mark for such an excellent site!

Regards,

Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:10 pm
Site Admin

The very same groups just also completed 1st book, and they will be taking home a certificate (123certificates) next week, before Easter vacation.

Cool! I'm glad that site has been helpful. I've been working on that site a lot this month. I hope to make more matching sticker/stamp charts.

I don't hear a peep from over there, so it's nice to hear that someone is using that site. :-D

Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:52 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Member

Looking forward to these additions! :smt048

Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:01 pm
MES-Member

I start the year giving my students a small sticker when they behave or do a good job. I usually need about a hundred stickers to do that in all my classes (about US$5, the stickers are really small) and as the weeks go by, I start changing the stickers for praises. At the end, they don't notice the difference, they just love being told they did a good job.

Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:41 am
MES-Member

What I do is that during the week, to praise good behaviour I give out raffle tickets and at the end of the week I pick up a number and that person gets a sweet from the sweet box. They love that and they know that the person who wins is not the one with the most number of raffle tickets, so they all try hard to get some.

Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:02 am
Site Admin

If you use stickers and stickers charts, check out this new site I made.
www.stickersandcharts.com

You can print out your own stickers or just use the sticker charts with the stickers you buy from the store.

Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:51 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Addict

I've been considering giving out stickers in my junior high classes but worry that the boys might find it too girly and even get put off from the whole incentives process altogether. If that happened, I'd worry that it'd actually backfire and alienate a lot of the too cool for school boys.

On the other hand, I thought about getting an English stamp set which look pretty gender neutral, but they're ¥1800 and stickers are really cheap at the 100 yen stores.

Anyone have experience with stickers in Junior High?

Natasha
Gunma-ken, Ota-shi

Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:09 pm
MES-Zealot!

Stickers have worked really well in my junior high schools. Boys and girls both love to get them and it really adds incentive for games etc.
One of the homeroom teachers had 3 different colors and each represented a certain amount of points. At the end of the semester, the points were added for participation grades. The stickers were given away as prizes and and as rewards for perfect test scores, turning in homework etc. It seemed to be a good way to motivate some of the less organized students in the class.

Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next