MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
How many of you teachers give presents/prizes? 
MES-Addict

Lots of praise and encouragement should be given. I also write something nice in their communication book and that often results in their parents treating them. Handing out candy is loved by the students but often frowned on by parents. The only thing I give students on a semi-regular basis is stickers and I change them each time (winnie-the-pooh, Doramon, Dinosaur.. etc) and each stent gets a couple.

Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:05 am
MES-Member

Post prizes
In my case I give studnts stickers for 3 rules - 1. they behave well, 2 - they do not speak Polish during the lesson, 3 - they do their homework. After children receive 10 stickers (you can make more) they get a prize - some sweets.

Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:26 pm
MES-Zealot!

I sometimes sign my name on their worksheets with a big smilie face (if they do a good job)

that seems to go down well, esp with the younger ones

but becareful, you give it to one they will all want it

:P

Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:45 am
Site Admin

I'm surprised how many people give out sweets/candy. I don't have an official stance on that, but never do it myself.

Like Kiwione, I often doodle a little character at the bottom of worksheets for students who win or did well. They love it here in Japan, but I'm not sure how well that will go over in other parts of the world.

Just practice 2-3 pictures and make sure you can draw them quick. Famous characters like Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck, etc. work just fine too. Then you won't need to spend money or have to remember to bring them to class. You'll always have the rewards on you. :D

I'm not sure how well that will work after you've given them candy though. :?

Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:45 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Member

I give out small reward stickers with words on them like "nice work" "awesome" "fantastic" - many of the kids have now learned these words just from the stickers. I found a huge package of them at a dollar store in the US.

Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:52 am
MES-Addict

Post Sweets as a reward
I sometimes reward my students with sweets overall after playing bingo or on special occasions such as Halloween.
However, I dont think it should become a routine and students dont have to get used to it.

Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:29 am
MES-Addict

Rewarding the children is one of the best way to keep them interested, costly yes..but now I resort to the redemption method. 10 rubber stamps or so, you'll be entitled to a present.

Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:00 pm
MES-Addict

Some generous soul in Australia sent me some fantastic kangaroo and koala stickers, so in addition to the regular stickers that I give ( and as I've mentioned in an earlier post, I give them out to every kid in the class regardless if they've finished or not) I have started to give a koala sticker for exceptional work. They've cottoned on to the idea that yes, they will all get a present for completing their sticker book, but Koala & Kangaroo recipients get an extra prize. I'm quite strict with these stickers but it's funny to hear them ask for a koala sticker when they think they have worked hard..

The class I teach is the same class split into 2 groups - so A class & B class. I've been teaching them praise vocabulary such as "excellent, well done, great, ok..." and the difference between them; ie excellent being more praiseworthy than OK. I made a chart so after each lesson I can "grade" each class on their overall performance and behaviour. They are incredibly competitive and it's proving an effective way to get each class motivated to outdo the other. (Plus this method involves no prizes or sweets... :-D )

Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:05 am
MES-Member

I made an English passport that has student's information in it plus a 6x5 grid (30 squares altog).

I award points for participation, correct answers, lining up well, winning in a game... Usually if we play a game I give each student/group points for the answers they got, and then a few extra for the group that won. This way ALL effort is rewarded, which I think is very important.

Every 6 points they get (one row), they can choose a sticker - which they love in japan, even my 16 year olds! Then, if they finish the whole grid, I increase their final grade by 1 point. I figure if they have put enough effort to fill up the grid - they deserve it!
This system is working extremely effectively (I only see my classes once a week though)
________
Medical Marijuana Patient

Last edited by jeshika on Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:28 pm
MES-Member

A stamp card by any other name may just be a stamp card but the learning and motivational possiblities are much better than a stamp card. I could really see it working better with some students than just the plain old stamp card--some students just don`t put any effort in unless the teacher has put effort, or though in. Younger students may not care about the extra point but the that can be adjusted for the class.

damon

Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:52 pm
MES-Member

Post Giving prizes
I have been burned in the past when giving "rewards" with students. I am a firm believer that the kids can do it and you reward them sporadically when you feel they have met your expectations.

Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:09 am
MES-Zealot!

Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:42 am
Site Admin

A stamp card by any other name may just be a stamp card but the learning and motivational possiblities are much better than a stamp card. I could really see it working better with some students than just the plain old stamp card--some students just don`t put any effort in unless the teacher has put effort, or though in.

There are some printable 'stamp cards' or incentives sheets with matching reward certificates to print here www.123certificates.com/cool.php

You don't have to use the reward certificates but if you're just looking for some nicely designed stamp or sticker sheets, check it out.

Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:40 am
Profile WWW
MES-Fanatic!

I started giving rewards last year. At first I used rewards to encourage good behaviour. I would start out the class by handing each student 3 small rewards that only became theirs and could be stuck at the back of their notebooks at the end of the class. If any of them started talking out loudly I would take a reward back. By the second class (I had 26 eight year old pupils in the class) they would hand me the reward back without me asking whenever they talked out of turn. In this way I could have my lessons without begging for attention all the time. When they had collected 30 rewards each, that is after 10 lessons we would have a celebration lesson of only games and songs and then I would also hand out small boxes of smarties (chocolate) and bookmarks I had downloaded from the net and laminated. It worked fine.
This year I use a different system since I don't have major discipline problems but a certain amount of unwillingness to do work, so I staple on each hand out they have completed a small reward, which they are supposed to write their names and surnames on (and practise writing them, since English uses a different alphabet from the one they are familiar with) and stick on the last pages of their notebooks. The moment they had ten they got smarties and a bookmark each. So far it seems to work. Out of the 20 pupils in the class only one still forgets to do the work I assign. I credited him with a box of smarties and a bookmark too, after he promised solemnly that he would improve. We shall see.

Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:54 am
MES-Addict

I think rewards are good at times. Cuz when we all grow up, the more we work, the more money we get. So in a way it's training them for the real world. And after they get the reward they feel happy and most of all proud. I think that should be our goals.

But I usually don't give them candy unless there is only a couple of students and it's special occassion like Halloween where they can learn about a different culture. I really don't want them to be on a sugar high.

In my last school I gave away punchouts. I bought a punch out stamper at the stationery store of a cherry blossom leaf (that's big in Japan) and got different color contruction paper and started to make blue, red, pink, and even black cherry blossoms. The kids got into and even collected them.

This year for my older kids, I tried out printable certificate and used it for sparingly. The 2 kids that earned it loved it and even posted it up on their walls when they got home.

Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:34 am
Reply to topic   [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next