MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
How many of you teachers give presents/prizes? 
MES-Member

Post candy for homework.
i am a new teacher in thailand and was having dificulty with students doing their vocab home work. one of the other foreing teachers sugested bribing them with candy.

it has worked out so far. each student that turns in homework gets one piece of candy.

Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:07 pm
MES-Member

Post pizes for projects
i forgot to metion. with my older students i give small prizes for groupwork competitions.

that is sort of hit and miss depending on the class.

Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:11 pm
MES-Member

I remember reading about this idea of setting up a shop a few years back and I noticed a previous poster does this as well. Love to hear how it is going pro and cons. Things to look out for.

I have spent hours downloading play money cutting and laminating. here is the link if you are interested http://www.kidsmoneyfarm.com

Over the weeks I have been buying things I think kids may like and they were very cheap. Pencil cases with rubbers,rulers, sharpeners, staplers ect
coloured pavement chalk, small hand mirrrors, swimming goggles. The kids are primary school age. Any suggestions for other stuff I could put in the shop.

Also I thought I would open the shop at set times after class and have 2 students be the shopkeepers. I also thought about students making edibles for the shop eg fruit ices, (food process mango and pineapple ) put into paper cups with half a chopstick in the middle and freeze)
The kids love them and they are healthy. The kids could sell them and keep the play money.

Another thing because I spent a lot of time making the money, I thought I would introduce the rule that if the money is not in fairly mint condition when it reaches the shop it would be reduced to half its value.

The thing with rewards is the expectation. I have a class of 6 x10 year old formidable young ladies. At the end of class we play UNO for 5 minutes and there is usually a prize, somtimes I forget to stock up they go to my pantry and fridge seeking sustenence. They are getting fussier and fussier and can't be fobbed off with fruit.
One girl was saying that the teachers classes are cheap becuase she gives such good food

I am seriously thinking of putting my prices up next school year as I do spend quite a bit on prizes and snacks.

Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:10 pm
MES-Zealot!

I must say, reading this thread I am surprised at how many people give prizes, rewards! I never have

Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:26 am
MES-Member

thanks for the money link. i needed play money for one of my classes.

i am doing an auction at the end of the semester and will have the kids use play money for various prizes and some junk.

Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:19 pm
MES-Member

I often give either points for the JHS kids....They have to fill up a card and then when theyre done they just get another blank card but the still seem to love collecting the cards!!

TO ES kids I just offer the a handshake or a autograph....which seems to go down well especially with the younger kids!

Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:21 am
MES-Member

Depending on the size of the class I will often create teams in my classes give and take away points throughout the day for good behavior, games, answering questions, etc. Then at the end of the class I will often give a sticker to my normal classes or a piece of candy to my bonus after school classes.

I find this encourages more participation in the classes by not just the super smart kids in the class, but the more average ones as well. Although there are a few students that no matter what I do nothing will ever get them to get involved.

Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:32 am
MES-Member

I give my students stamps which they collect on the inside cover of their textbook.

Forget your book = no possibility of stamps for you today.

Students get them for winning games, asking questions, completing assignments etc. At the end of the semester all students who have reached a certaqin target number (eg. 100 stamps) are invited to a pizza and ice-cream party.

There are usually 4-5 kids from each of my four classes and the party costs me about $20US.

I like this idea because the kids aren't in competitiion with each other so they all feel they have a chance, rather than the same couple of 'good' students winning everything. The kids seem to like it too!! :mrgreen:

Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:47 pm
MES-Addict

I have given out some random stickers as simple rewards during class and for special things like participation, manners,. etc as well as helping others or myself during class, I have a board with the names and they can get 1 coloured round sticker to place on the board. At the end of each month I (or co-teacher) select 2 top students (from those stickers) and 2 lower level students (as encouragement awards) and I do a special certificate for each and laminate them (quarter of an A4 page size) and present each month. when presented the co-teacher takes a photo of the 4 students with me and I print that on A4 photo paper and laminate, as well as 4 quarter size copies and present one to each student and the big one stays on the back board. This helps at times when they know there are open days when parents attend so they all want to have their photo on the board. Special holidays etc I randomly give out some small sweets.

Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:26 pm
MES-Member

Actually this topic is sometimes quite painful for me. I mostly work with 3 year-olds and 6 year-olds. We have a rule that if the 6 year-olds behave themselves they get 2 stamps after the lesson (they stamp in their books and when we start a new book, which we do every 2 months, they compare the quantity of stickers and brag between themselves), if they disbehave they get either 1 or no stamps. As you can understand when kids disbehave and get 1 stamp they tend to get upset. So sometimes I have to have long talks with these kids.

With 3 year-olds it's easier. All of them get stamps after the lesson regardless their behaviour and if they sit through the lesson without parents being present they also get a sticker. we buy theme-based stickers. That's why when the kids learn new aminals, for example, they choose the sticker they like. For me it's important that they ask for a sticker in English. They usually say "I want..." or "I choose..." This way it's not only a reward it's also review of the material they learn.

Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:58 am
MES-Addict

I have what I call the tab system. At the beginning of each week I give each student the same number of "tabs" (These are different colored pieces of paper. Each color stands for a different amount ie red = 20, blue = 10 etc). During the week they lose tabs for not following the classroom expectations. Each Friday they can buy items from the store with their remaining tabs. They can also save them to buy more expensive items the next week. The students really enjoy this but I do find keeping the store supplied challenging.

Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:53 am
MES-Addict

I give stickers for homework to young kids (up to 8-9 years old). They really seem to wait for them and your site Mark has lately saved my life (because I've run out of stickers and found yours :))
And when there's a special day, e.g. Christmas coming I give them little sweets - not as a prize but to let everybody feel that it's good to share on special moments.
Happy teaching.

Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:40 am
MES-Member

I like to give my kids chocolates and the occasional toy. The toys I give are from 7-11 and Family Mart stores here in Taiwan. Customers get them for making purchases. The kids love them!

Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:03 am
MES-Addict

I give my students excellence awards, but every four weeks. In order to get them, they collect points. Each lesson they get 1 mark (from 1-10; judging their active participating, behaviour, quick response and interest generally). The one that collects most points after 4 weeks, gets an award and some small prize, like a stamp or a pencil. I started doing this after 3 months of lessons and I can assure you they really changed their behaviour because of this award - they became more active and really really payed their attention!

Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:40 am
Reply to topic   [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6