MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Anywhere to find free slang flash cards? 
MES-Member

Post Anywhere to find free slang flash cards?
I would like to teach students about American slang, and am trying to find a site that has some printable free slang cards. By chance, does anyone know of such a site?

Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:36 am
Site Admin

Do you mean with pictorial representations? What types of terms were you thinking about?

I imagine it will be hard to find something like that (with pictures - "loser", "geek", "nerd"), because many slang terms have multiple uses and are often hard to understand, "wicked!" - how can that mean good? They are often confusing to different generations of the same L1. (I had to have the word "bling" explained to me. I came across it in a movie in context but couldn't figure out what it meant.)

Also, these terms are transient and in many cases short-lived, especially young adult/pop terms. Some stay and become a part of the language - "Cool." If there are a set of flashcards somewhere, chances are some of the terms are already out of date.

So, ...

My suggestion would just be to present them as text flashcards and cover there use in context heavily. But someone may have a lead for you ...

Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:48 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Member

Yeah, I figured it would be hard to find flash cards. Definitely would be hard to express some words in pictures. Oh well, just thought I'd try. Thank you for the reply though, started to think explaining slang might be more complicated than I thought.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:35 pm
Site Admin

I'm sure it can be done and certainly useful. There may be something out there or at least some good lesson plans/worksheets on different slang.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:15 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Member

Try Tex Avery short film called Symphony in Slang. Not flashcards but at least some pictorial representation of slang expressions.

Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:25 am
MES-Member

so far, I haven't run into any website that presents such flashcards. I remember there is some verbs in VERB here. It is good to teach the kids of those "American Slangs".

Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]