MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
There is.... There are... 
MES-Addict

Post There is.... There are...
Are there any MES lessons for this? Thanks

Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:46 pm
Site Admin

the table game - a There is ../are... introduction game.

There is .../There are .. worksheets - mostly for young kids but might be good to look at

With the places flashcards, you can find some there is/are cards. they can be used to play some games but in general they are good for practice. The activity is discussed briefly at the bottom of the page with the card links.

Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:08 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Addict

Post Thanks
I'll give it a look.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:22 pm
Site Admin

Sorry, I forgot about Treasure Island. That game is built around using there is/are ... and making questions "Is there anything in B5?".

It can also be used to practice the passive tense and I'm using it today for that. That's when I realized I had forgotten to mention it.

I hope it helps.

I also do a dictation drawing activity. In groups, students start out with a location, let's say a classroom. First round, the teacher describes the room and all of the things in it. Students draw the picture and then compare at the end. In the second and further rounds, the students take turns adding things to a picture and draw the picture (without showing their drawing to the others until they've finished.)

S1: There are 7 desks.
S2: There is a long bookshelf.
S3: There is a clock on the wall.
S4: There are pencils on the desk.
S5: ...

It's a good way to start eliciting locational language and more explicit descriptions, behind ..., next to ..., on each ..., under ...

Does anyone else have any activities for "There is/are ..."

Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:43 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Member

Hi, this is my first post here (I registered about 2 weeks ago, but I've been lurking here for quite some time)

BEFORE teaching "There is/are" I try to get my students interested with this activity...

I ask them "How many desks are there?" and if they say "SIX" "SEVEN", I say "OH, THERE ARE seven desks"... "Well then..., how many CHAIRS are there?"
Usually there is one kid that picks up on it the first or the second time and says "There are 7 chairs!" while the others yell "seven chairs".
I repeat this several times, using various classroom objects or kids (how many boys are there?) but I ALWAYS make sure that the answer starts with "there are.." (plural)

The next step, I let the kids make questions and when they do, they are bound to select something that requires "there IS ONE..." as an answer.
This is the moment when I introduce "there is.." I tell them that unlike Japanese, which makes a difference between things that are alive (people, animals) and not alive (desk, pencil etc), that English doesn't have this distinction, BUT that there IS a difference when using ONE (there is) or MORE than one (there are)
Usually they get it very fast and I let them have their fun (taking turns making questions) for at least 10-15 minutes

The last step is during the next lesson (a week later).
I look at a picture in the textbook (I use English Time, but it could be anything of course) and ask "How many .....s are there?"
Usually there is at least one person who remembers to answer with "There are...".. I repeat this pattern several times and then I hit them with a question that has to be answered with "There is one..."

After this, they can name things from the classroom or stuff they have in their bags (there are 3 windows, there is a pencil case in my bag etc)

I think that the most important thing to make them understand and remember in a short time, is to let them use the phrases as much as possible in a relaxed fun way and in situations they can relate to.

Hope this helps!
J.P.J.

Sat May 01, 2010 4:50 pm
MES-Zealot!

a good activity is to make a text before hand, and the students have to draw the picture according to what they hear.
If there are only a few students, get them all to draw the pic(s) on the board.
If there are many students; get them into teams and get them to draw each line of the text, then the next student does it. Or draw it on a piece of paper?

by text, I mean some thing like this;

There is a big tree
There are 2 dogs under the tree
There are 4 birds in the tree
There is a boy sleeping
etc etc

make the text to their level and just have fun
at the end get them to compare pics and see is anyone made any mistakes. It doesn't matter if they are different as long as they follow the text (as not everyone will be a good drawer and there will be some boys that will so a little over board with the fun element?) I like this game because you can add words etc of things they have just learnt and add a few local famous people or things to make it fun (eg add Mr. Obama)
enjoy

Mon May 10, 2010 5:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]