MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Making stories with adults 
MES-Addict

Post Making stories with adults
Hi mates,

Inspired by your Halloween threads I'm planning to do a Halloween lesson with my adult classes.
Up to now I've only read about the history of Halloween, but now I want to do a bit on vocabulary and for the more advanced class write a halloween or ghost story.
I'll let you know how it went.

Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:39 am
MES-Addict

I've done my Halloween lessons by now and my adults liked it! :D

I had given out worksheets with Halloween vocabulary with pictures and we talked a bit about Halloween.
Even my A1 to A2 class came up with some very good sentences or little stories to tell on the topic. 8)

With my advanced class I read about the origin and the history of Halloween which turned into a discussion about 'pegan' turning into christian rites. To them I gave out the Halloween vocabulary to help them write their ghost story for homework.
When they have done it so far, I will correct their stories, type them into my word processor and produce a little booklet for them with their collection of Halloween stories.

Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:22 pm
MES-Addict

Wow, that was quite a success to let my advanced students make up ghost stories!

There turned out to be quite a few among them who are really imaginative and they produced very good stories.

Even one student, who isn't at all self secure and who always says 'No, I can't do this', and who actually was 'afraid' of having to write a story, produced an extraordinarily good one!

Perhaps this could as well be worth a try with elder students in high school or so. Writing a story brings out the best in them.
It wasn't the first time I experienced that!

Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:58 pm
Site Admin

A lot of my students really enjoy making stories. You might want to take a look at the Skit Kit. That might go over well.

Once students have made a story, you can go back into the story and really work on a few things. Adding adjectives and adverbs to liven up the story is usually my first step. Then there is adding in sequencing language. You can also have them try to combine some thoughts to make the story less choppy, for example.

Anyway, glad to hear that it went over well.

Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:44 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Addict

thanks a lot for your interest and your advice!
The Skit Kit is really great. A wonderful idea and very effective.
I will surely prepare my material and try it with my class.
With my adults it could be possible to fill the envelope with the cards I chose and let them take out all of the cards at once so that they can 'arrange' the story in one part, thinking about the order of events, reorganising it until they are satisfied with the result and then write the story!

What I thought about was that I indicate the verb cards as verb cards, so that they can see clearly that this is a verb for the story and not to mix it up with the objects or subjects. What do you think?

I can't wait doing it!

Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:16 pm
MES-Addict

I had the idea to collect my student's stories in something like a book or so. As they have done so well, I wanted to give it to them at the end of the term.

I wondered whether you have any ideas how to actually produce such a 'book', which is cheap and doesn't need too much time to make.

Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:56 am
Site Admin

I have a thermal binding machine. The link is to a different one but same idea. You have some sleeves and you put your pages in there. Then place the binding part in the machine. It heats up the glue on the binding and glues all of the pages together. I use these for Fun Fonix books.

There are also comb binding machines.

There are many sites which will make hard cover photo albums. That might be an option. You'd probably have to convert your stories to images. You pay a set price and then there are additional charges for more pages.

You can make one yourself using hard card and binding tape (or just a strong tape like duct tape.) Then you can decorate the cover as you wish. That's the cheapest option but will take some time if you have a lot of books to make.

Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:17 am
Profile WWW
MES-Addict

Thanks a lot Mark for the ideas and for renaming the thread, for now it's about making stories :D

I'll ask at my school whether they have one of those machines, if not it's a real good option to take binding tape.

I'll let you know how it finally worked!
Thanks again!
:D

Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:54 am
MES-Addict

Finally, in my last lesson this term, so to speak as a christmas present, I gave the booklet to my students.
They liked it very much and were surprised. One student said she would never have thouught there would ever be a book with one of her stories in! :lol:

What I did was printing out the corrected stories on normal paper with halloween pumpkins on it, took one thicker paper for the cover with a nice halloween pic on it and for the back of the book a thicker paper as well.
I then tackered all papers together at the left side four times and attached binding tape over the staples. It worked wonderfully this way!

Thanks again for your help and encouragement, Mark!

Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:46 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]