MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Teaching English Online 
MES-Addict

Post Teaching English Online
Hi,

I am wondering if anyone has experience teaching English online. I am mainly referring to private classes taught directly to students.

If so, how did you like it? How did the payment work? Was it easy, or did you encounter problems? What payment method did you use?

As I am considering this venture, any information or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Dave

Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:48 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Dave - I've read some inquiries about teaching online here and there. To be honest most of the feedback on the teaching positions has been pretty negative, low pay and problems getting paid for example.

There was an advertisement here on MES for such a positions and the payment was like $6/30min or something like that. (I believe payment was through PayPal - so you'd lose 3-4% of that upon receiving payment.)

I assume you'd be better off starting up your own website (a blog would be alright) to advertise your services and list your credentials. You just need a point of contact and reference. Then go over to some student sites and join the conversation. Give help and advice and list your website at the bottom stating you also tutor online. If you give good help and advice you might be able to grow your own student base and cut out the middleman.

Using Skype to teach, you really can take things into your own hands.

Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:08 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Addict

Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:27 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]