MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
alphabet 
MES-Addict

Post alphabet
I'm teaching the alphabet with my 9-year-old students. I've tried different ways: the typical alphabet song, which they memorize it by heart but later, when doing a word dictation, they have to recall all the alphabet letter by letter to remember how a letter sounds.
The other way is to associate the sound to a vowel or other letter, for example:
A= h,j,k
E= b,c,d,g,p,t...
I= y
O
U= q,w
and the rest f,l,m,n,s...
but neither of the two ways of teaching convice me.
Do you know another tecnique of teaching the alphabet that really works?

Thanks in advance.
Ana
Spain

Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:40 am
MES-Addict

This is not a good technique if you see the language as something with rules, but in this one school I saw the teachers writing the sounds with letters with the alphabet of the children’s L1. It is something like for an example : A = / ei / It is similar with the phonetic signs which can be found in dictionaries, but without the difficult signs. I use the alpha steps to teach them the alphabet.

http://kizclub.com/activities/alphabetstep.pdf

and the clothes line

http://kizclub.com/activities/clothesline.pdf

I print these on papers in different colors and first they jump on the aplhasteps by saying the letters in the right order, than backwards and sometimes I just mix them around the classroom.

Hope this helps

Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:08 am
MES-Addict

Post alphabet
I'll try your technique. It sounds good.
Thanks.

Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:42 am
MES-Addict

http://www.superteacherworksheets.com/p ... c-book.pdf

I find this very usefull. After learning the whole alphabet I organize spell contests, and the children are inspired to learn, so they can win. :D

Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:14 am
Make picture cards for each letter, using words they know already.

So, for example, A for Apple; B for Bus; C for Chair etc etc

Put these around the class. Make sure each student recognises them and can say them.

In the future, when they see a letter, they'll be able to connect it to a picture, and then remember that such-and-such a letter stands for this picture. For example, they see the letter C and can't pronounce it, but then they remember the picture of the chair, and then remember the phrase you taught them before (C is for chair), and then a light goes on in their head and they can pronounce the letter. Eventually, this will become instinctive and they will say the letters easily. A couple, like X and Q might take a bit longer to stick.

The point is, I believe, is that we shouldn't teach the alphabet until students have a good range of vocabulary. It's a lot easier to teach if we can relate it to words they already know.

Good luck

Phil

Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:13 pm
MES-Member

I usually find its more effective for the students to be familiar with the actual sound of the letters (phonics) than the names of the letters. YMMV

Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:56 pm
MES-Addict

Post alphabets
thanks to everyone for giving me such ideas.

Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:17 am
MES-Fanatic!

I have made an audio phonics program that may be helpful. You can download the easy phonics songs for free:

http://www.dreamenglish.com/phonics

I hope this helps!

Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:49 am
Profile WWW
MES-Member

Post Re: alphabet
Hi ..I find those sites very useful..when I teach my pps the alphabet ..first they just memorized the sounds without making difference between I- A- O- U- Y- E- ..specially because their second language is French so they mix between I- E- A...but when we learn a new word we play the spelling game ..now they can spell any word ..

Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:15 pm
Profile YIM
MES-Addict

I cant remember where i found it, maybe dream english or super simple songs. But there is a song which goes--- A is a a Apple B is ba ba bear bear

I forget, is that how it goes, haha!

Anyway, I use it with 4-6 year olds, and just from that song and flashcards, they can recognise the letters and read so I recomment that song if you can find it at one of those places

Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]