MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
conversation for EFL kidz??? 
MES-Member

Post conversation for EFL kidz???
hi everybody, it's really good to join the group..
I just have started to teach English after graduating 3 months ago so it is my first teaching experience.
Now i teach EFL class for kids, the institution instructs us to teach everything that can make the kids-who speak Bahasa Indonesia in their daily life- be able to speak simple English conversation for 6 months. however, the institution doesn't give any curriculum or syllabus to follow. It is only up to us, the English teachers. it is confusing enough for us to create a suitable curriculum that suits the institution and the kids' parents wish. So far, in these 2 months, I have taught them some basic vocabulary but i got stuck when i remember i should be able to make them can do English conversation till the next 4 months.
What should I teach them so they can do simple English conversation?However, the word "simple conversation" is still ambiguous for me. I have read Mark's speaking curriculum but i think it's for ESL young learners, isn't it?My students are those who doesn't have English basic at all, my classes consist of 10 kids for each and they are in different ages from 7 to 12 years old....any advise from the forum... ?Huge thanks..

Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:28 pm
Profile YIM
Site Admin

The ESL curriculum that I have outlined is what I use to teach my students. They are Japanese children that start from zero. My situation is similar to yours but I have the students coming to me for years. So, the curriculum works more towards a foundation with some simple speech acts from time to time.

If you only have 4 more months, you might try just some simple speech acts:
- Hello./Goodbye. Good morning./Good night.
- How are you? ... I'm great.
- What's your name? ... My name is XYZ.
- How old are you? ... I'm 9.
- Do you like ...? ... Yes./No.
- I like .../I don't like ...
- I have ... (family and things)
- Are you (feeling)?

If you caver these things, they will learn simple greetings, a few simple questions for meeting someone, and they can do a short self introduction.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:12 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Member

well..i think that helps much, I'll do it. .Thanks for the reply mark. It's really great to have forum like this to share, ask, and discuss with :D
Keep moving!

Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:17 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]