MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Teaching sentence structure 
MES-Fanatic!

Post Teaching sentence structure
I have done a fair amount of teaching conversation and specific topics and I usually try and incorporate some grammar into that (just by giving my students examples of correct and incorrect). I am now teaching a small class (12 students) who have a pretty high level of vocabulary and so can hold a conversation quite easily but their sentence structure for speaking and writing is pretty bad.

I am looking for good ideas and ways to teach good sentence structure and I don't really know where to start. My students are elementary school level and they are very smart but they don't have a very long attention span for listening or sitting and they like to be up and moving around or playing games to use the target language.

I have used the Big Town cards successfully with target expressions but I would like to teach them more about how to actually put together a sentence so that they can create accurate questions and answers. At the moment I can understand them when they make questions but they are not grammatically correct unless I tell them what it should be.

I hope that explains what I am looking for. This is for an extra-curricular class and one of the criteria is that it has to be fun so we can't just slog through a bunch of worksheets.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:45 pm
MES-Addict

my students don't have the same level as yours (France is still pretty bad at teaching other languages), but what I do is that I introduce vocabulary and sentence structures at the same time from albums.

If they already have the vocabulary, it shoud be quicker!

For example: with the album Susan laughs, you can use the structure "I can/can't".

They can play with it, looking for what the other can/can't do, by asking questions/ansmering (for exemaple, you give them 9 action cards, they chose 4 they CAN do, and the other player has to find these 4).

You can introduce many other structures from albums, and this will help with conversations.

The other advantage is that they get a good foreighn culture by hearing stories and having heard of albums and authors.

Hope this helps

Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:13 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]