MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Introducing written English. 

When do you introduce the written English?
At the third year of the English learning process. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
At the third year of the English learning process but introducing the written skills progressively. 33%  33%  [ 3 ]
At the same time, but always taking into account that the contents must be introduced orally before showing how it's written. 67%  67%  [ 6 ]
At the same time. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 9

Introducing written English. 
MES-Addict

Post Introducing written English.
Hi!
I know English should be started teaching the oral skills (listening, speaking). My question is when should the students start learning the written language (reading, writing)?

I give four options:
At the third year of the English learning process.
At the third year of the English learning process but introducing the written skills progressively.
At the same time, but always taking into account that the contents must be introduced orally before showing how it's written.
At the same time.

I personally have chosen the third option. At the same time, but always taking into account that the contents must be introduced orally before showing how it's written.

Thanks everyone for collaborating! :-D

Fri May 08, 2009 9:30 pm
Site Admin

That's a really tough question and I'm sure you'll get a few people who say they'd like different options.

I chose the second option, but just as it was closest to what I do.

I introduce phonics after about a year of verbal work (one lesson a week.) However with upper elementary school students I might start after six months or even right away. I build reading and writing competence through phonics and it's independant of what we are doing verbally.

So they might be saying "What's your favorite ...?" "I like ..." but they are reading and writing "cat" "bag" "fan".

After two years to three years, their reading ability catches up with their language level and we can start to read and write what we're saying, but I don't do much writing at all, just reading. (The main reasons for that are that people (parents) don't want me teaching writing and I have limited time and writing exercises just take up too much time.)

Fri May 08, 2009 9:59 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Addict

I have said at the same time. I don't really do a lot of writing. I might get them to fill in their name in a sentence like what is your name. I do make a lot of mini books with the kids and these are alway based on the theme that I am teaching. I tend to use worksheets as a physical activity eg 'colour the star red, then cut it out and stick it on your book'
I do a word a week for each letter of the alphabet. For this the kids draw a picture and write the word. I do this, as I am always rushing from one school to another and this gives me 5 minutes to gather up my stuff (before I would always forget something). I sometimes only have 15 minutes to get to the next school.
I do expect my 11yrs olds to be able to write about 5 sentences about themselves and with one class we have been writing letters to my mums class in the Uk as she is teaching them French.

Sat May 09, 2009 12:42 am
MES-Zealot!

I clicked on the third option. The parents and managers often like to see evidence of reading and writing earlier than I'd like to start teaching them. At the early stages I try to make the reading and writing very much the junior part of the course.

Sat May 23, 2009 6:42 am
Profile WWW
MES-Addict

Post Writing...
Hi,
It's sounds like the pace of learning English is much slower (and I'm sure a lot more solid) than here in Taiwan. In Taiwan (at my language school) the kids start tracing when they are in Kindergarten first year. They start writing words in Kindy year two and write sentences in year three. In my opninion its much too fast, but its not something I'm able to change.

Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:58 pm
i think its up to the board of education in the country you're teaching. even if you are doing your lessons privately. IMO

of course, if a student has the potential and hungry for information, then it would be a crime to withhold that, again, IMO... :-D

Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:20 pm
MES-Addict

I've chosen the second option. In France, we're generally told not to introduce written english before the last year of primary school, and only when the words have been learned orally.
You can do it to compare different writings for a phonem (which are different from french), how to write new phonems...

Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]