MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
BICS / CALP? 
MES-Addict

Post BICS / CALP?
Hi! I'm developing some materials for my school. They asked me to use Jim Cummins' research on Basic Interpersonal Communicative Skills (BICS) and Cognitive Academic Language Proficiency (CALP). I understand the terms, but I'm still a little confused on producing some examples.

What are some language items that apply for BICS and CALP?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. :)

more info:

Basic Interpersonal Communicative Skills (BICS)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_Interpersonal_Communicative_Skills

Cognitive Academic Language Proficiency (CALP)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_Academic_Language_Proficiency

BICS & CALP
http://www.edu.gov.mb.ca/ael/all/publications/MALC_ESL/%27Introduction/I-i-Classification%20of%20Lang%20&%20Content%20Activities.htm

Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:55 pm
Site Admin

Do you have to plan lesson plans based on both or or are you using Cummin's research to focus on just one?

I have to say, this is the first I've heard of this. However, it seems like he's just put a name to CALP and thus BICS.

Material based around BICS seems to be just what you'd find in any ESL/EFL textbook. Basic language and grammar to suit the students' needs for communication. So for BICS, I'd just assess the students langauge ability and then prepare materials and lesson plans that would add target structures and vocabulary necessary to further their fluency and ability to exchange information in daily conversation.

It sounds like CALP becomes more like ESP (English for Special Purposes.) You are dealing with specific acedemic language that will change a bit from context to context.
"Take a look at figure 2 on page 68. What does that graph represent?"
"Would you say the population is increaseing in proportion with commercial growth?"

For something like that, I'd say it'd be better to prepare various lessons in the target subject and assist the students with the language in an 'actual' science lesson, social studies lesson and so on. That's how I handle ESP classes. I create the environment with my materials and lesson plan and assist with the language as necessary. Of course it will be a 'dramatization' but hopefully that gives you something to work with.

Are you working with students in an English speaking country? an international school?

Last edited by mesmark on Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:54 am
Profile WWW
MES-Addict

My school(private after school academy) wanted me to create a conversation syllabus for intermediate level students. To be honest, I think those in charge read a trade magazine about BICS and CALP; and wanted to incorporate them in the lessons.

BICS will be easy to incorporate in my lessons. On the other hand CALP, may take more time and research.

Thanks again.

Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:34 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]