MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
I'm pretty lost on deciding what to do with my kids 
MES-Member

I'm pretty lost on deciding what to do with my kids. I started teaching them last week. 10 kids around 6 years and it's really hard for me getting their attention.

so, i'm looking at all these websites with great material for teaching but i can't decide exactly what to do with them.

i'm looost!!!
help!!!

what do u really suggest me to do ?

Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:28 am
Site Admin

Debora - Where are you working? How long have the students been studying English?

If you are teaching a new class, then you might want to listen to these shows on teaching via speaking only and the beginning of a curriculum using MES resources http://www.mes-english.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2752

If you have a different group, can you tell us a little more about them?

Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:50 am
Profile WWW
MES-Zealot!

deborrrah at that age group their attention really wanders a lot and different kids respond, enjoy, and learn different ways.

Most teachers of students around that age group mix things up a lot. Changing activities every 5 to 10 minutes.

I would check out the games/activites section of the forums and use a lots of TPR.

I teach a group of 17 kids aged 3 to 7 in one class for 1 hour 4 days a week. One day we concentrate on a craft type thing (I have to do most the work for the little ones.) Other days I read a book and we do chants (check out Matts stuff at dream english.) Another day we will watch a video and color. Always some TPR.

Simple flash card games are always great.

When I have them coloring or working on a craft I go around and engage them each one one one for a mnute or two.

When we read a book or watch a video I describe and act out what is going on.

Sure they don't understand a lot of it, but they are being exposed to the language and for the younger ones a lot of it is about input.

Again most of these activites only go on for 10 mins max and then we are off to the next thing.

You will want to over plan, because some times what you think is going to be awesome just doesn't work.

The great thing with the young ones is you can do a lot of the stuff over and over again.

Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:20 am
MES-Member

So, I teach in Brazil, in a primary school and we have classes of 45 min twice a week. The class was exposed to english classes last year (here the school year starts at February and ends at November), but in my first class with them, I asked what they had learned and they said something about food (the teacher used to cook in english with them) and they knew the numbers, simple things.

So actually, I'm thinking of making it a real course now. Maybe I'm a bit higher then what they expect me to do, and the principal told me also that the greatest thing here is to expose them to another language.

I'm looking at MES material and all the chants, listenings, worksheets, and games also.

What can I do with the flashcards once I have them in hands? What kind of activities is it possible for me to do with them?

I've realized I must have a lot of class plans in mind because they might not like whatever I thought it'd be nice...

I'm sorry I'm that lost, but what's TPR?

Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:37 am
MES-Member

Okay, I'm already listening to the show and reading stuff about TPR, so, now i know what TPR is...At least I'm starting to read, at some point i'll understand it.

=)

Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:46 am
MES-Member

Another thing is...should I keep talking in Portuguese to these kids?

Because I'm sure if i tell them a story, just in english they won't get a thing, so I'm thinking of telling a story but just substituting the vocabulary I'm teaching, for example, animals. I tell a story about a farm and what happens to some animals, the story is in Portuguese, but the animals are told to them in english.

Then I do a listening and worksheet exercises with matching and writing (for those who can write) to make sure they know the animals and finish with a game, bingo, I thought It would be great.

What do you think? Should I use more English?

Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:52 am
MES-Zealot!

yes, thats always a "depending on the level of the kids" situation
If they are really low level you obviously need to use some L1 (Portug.)
But try to feel your way, try to expose them to real English but don't drown them.
Go slow and stop and ask questions
The first few times will be hard, it will be new for them (??) and for you (??)
Don't worry we all have to start off sometime, you will pick it up as you go.

I often read the page twice slowly and see it they get the gist, then translate, but try to get them thinking, don't fall into the trap of spoon feeding them in L1. But as I said, to start off you might need to?

With books you can sometimes branch off, for example; there is a green table. Ask the kids what's this? What color is it? Can you see green in this room? etc

Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:21 am
MES-Member

just this question I still don't have an answer.

Quote:
What can I do with the flashcards once I have them in hands? What kind of activities is it possible for me to do with them?

Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:25 pm
Site Admin

The cards are pretty much free to use. Imagine you had the actual items in your hands, but by turning them over, you could hide them. Now you can do all sorts of things and the students are on an adventure ...

There are quite a few activities you can do with the cards listed here: games to play.

Around the World

Fifi's game

quite a few games for the small flashcards

Find it / Flip it

Visual Sentence Post

If you read through the games forum, there are quite a few idea there as well.

What have you been doing?

Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:38 am
Profile WWW
MES-Member

Well, as I intend to use flashcards tomorrow as a vocabulary introducer, I'm thinking (after reading some posts in here) to use as: first I introduce the animals, showing the cards, make them repeat. Then I take one by one and ask "What's this?" and have one student (or more) to answer me.

Then I'll distribute the flashcards and make the "Show me the..." until all of them show me the animal

Finally I'll make a small chart on the board for them to complete either with the flashcard or the word (for those who can write)

Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:43 am
MES-Addict

One of the things I try to do to get young children to stop wandering is have a puzzle, the jigsaw type.

So you can have a ready made one, or make one yourself. I usually have a bunch of alphabet letters cut into halves so that there are 52 peices in a set. Then I get the student into groups of 3-4 and have then make up the alphabet. Make the alphabet letters of different colours so it is not all black pieces.

The after wards I get the kids in a line and ask them to put the alphabet in order one letter per student at a time. I write the letter on the board so that they can pick up (the two peices) and align them a-z.

Of course this canbe done with any theme, but the main is to get the kids together doing an activity together and to stop them wandering.

The complexity of the puzzles depend on the level of the students.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:14 pm
MES-Member

There are many ways to use the flashcards here are a few:

1. Introduce the vocabulary by showing the cards one by one. Then lay them out, say the word and the children have to point.
2. Cut a piece of coloured card to the size of the flashcard, cut out a few holes in the card, cover the flashcard with the coloured piece of card and the children have to guess what it is.
3. Lay out the flashcards, ask a child to go out for a minute. Ask one of the remaining children to turn one card over and then the child comes back in and has to guess which card it is.
4. Lay the cards out round the room as far apart as possible. The children stand in the middle and have to run to the word you call out. Then, divide the children into two teams. The first team calls out the word while the second team runs to those words.
5.Give the children the cards and let them play teacher to ask "What's this?" for objects and "Who's this?" for people.
6. One child stands facing the group with a flashcard of an animal. The others say " Are you a ...?" Every time he/she say "no, I'm not" they can come a step closer. When the answer is "Yes, I am" the child at the front can catch the others.
7. You can play the same thing with them sitting in a circle. One child goes out and the children sitting are given a flashcard each. The one outside comes back in and has to ask for a specific animal and when he finds the child with that animal, the sitting child has to get up and chase the asking child round the circle until he/she sits in the vacant seat.

Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:42 pm
MES-Member

Thanks for the thinks I can do with the flashcards!!

Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:59 pm
Post teaching your small group of six year olds
Hi Deborah

Heven! You lucky thing to have a small group. You can really do some fun stuff with them.

Games of course - as mentioned by the other helpful people here.

Also stories, which after you have read them a few times the kids can start to take roles on and act them out while you are reading them.

And songs - with actions - and it doesn't have to be head shoulders knees and toes - ANY song can have actions. Just make up symbols for key vocab appearing in the song and every time the children hear that word they make the symbol. Make nice movements to the music that may or may not have meaning - if they can have meaning that's better, but if not, any movement is better than standing there like a lemon while the music plays. I used to put dance routines together with my kids and they loved it - we are not talking Flashdance here don't worry!

Anyway moving on, oh yes the key thing I wanted to say is DRAMA! Use plays and skits. First teach the vocab and key phrases using games. Then put the skit together over a few lessons - not for the WHOLE lesson but for ten to fifteen minutes of each lesson over a series.

Be sure to put that on to parents at the end of terms. The kids love to show off what they can do and be the center of attention. Video it too - they love watching themselves on the screen.

So you will find a free skit on this page - you need to go to the page then scroll down about two-thirds and you'll find the link to the free play. You don't get any games with that play but you can sign up for them elsewhere on the same site.

http://www.teachingenglishgames.com/eslplays.htm

Enjoy!
Shelley

Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]