MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Activity for conjunction 
MES-Fanatic!

Post Activity for conjunction
I am trying to find a way to simplify the activity for beginners. Any suggestions. I have enclosed a link to where you can download the activity and the lesson plan.

Lesson Plan

http://www.box.net/shared/s0ijc8xr3l

Worksheet

http://www.box.net/shared/uctzvfiult

I am trying to get this down to a beginners level.

Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:35 pm
MES-Zealot!

Post Great idea but too complicated for my mixed adult class
Hi Hikemontster,

I liked your lesson worksheets but it's true, they're a bit too complicated for Beginners. I have a mixed group of adults here in Switzerland but those pages that you showed would be too complicated for most of them. :D

They're people who are retired ( 50 and over ) and I don't want to give them too much grammar but I did like your idea a lot.

So, please let me know when you have a simpler version of those worksheets for Beginners. :-D

Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:42 pm
Site Admin

My first question is whether this is new information or not. If it's new information, in general, I think you might have too many things going on in there. You could limit the conjunctions to just one per category: and, but, before/after.

Once students are comfortable with using those (maybe the next lesson,) then expand into more options per category. I'd probably expand their options in each category, one category per lesson and allow plenty of time to practice. I think slapping all that on their plate at once will just cause confusion.

You might even move subordinates to a new worksheet. While they are conjunctions they don't really go well with coordinates. I would do them separately, but that's just me.

How much time are you spending on this? How old are the students and how many do you have in the class?

Now, if this is a review activity and you're just trying to see if they can use all of these together, then give it a shot, as long as they have a pretty good grasp of each individually, I think they should be able to do it.

About the worksheets, you've got 'but' and 'yet' in the 'coordinating (same)' column. 'but' and 'yet' should be in the second column 'contrasting'. Also on the 'Using conjunctions sheet' you have this:

Quote:
Coordinating Conjunction Samples:
I went to the store and bought bread and butter.
My brother will buy a scooter or a car.
She is pretty but smart.

'but' should be with the contrastive examples. By using 'but' you are saying that pretty and smart don't go together. :shock: I think you might offend both smart and pretty people with that example :lol: I have some tough days but I like to think I'm smart and pretty. :D

'yet' is also contrastive

In the first column you have the heading 'Coordinating (same)' but the copulative conjuctions that "group" are 'and', 'as well as' and 'also'.

'or' shows alternatives, expressing choice, as does 'nor'

'so' is subordinate showing result.

'for' as a coordinate conjunction shows causal relationship, but is really hard to use naturally, at least for me.
'He struck the waiter for he spilt the beer.

Quote:
Coordinating (same)
And
But
Or
Nor
For
Yet
So

What do you mean by 'same' -- 'Coordinating (same)'

To be honest, it's sort of confusing me. Are you doing this based on a textbook? or following some other worksheets?

Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:47 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]