MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Pull-Out ESL Help! 
MES-Member

Post Pull-Out ESL Help!
I am a second year teacher in an elementary school. I do pull-out ESL for grades K-5 at all different levels--some who have just arrived and don't speak a word of English, and some who are almost ready to be transitioned out of the program.

I have a few materials that I have collected over the past year but we still don't have a curriculum or any sort of reading program. Right now I am working on developing a beginner program just getting them adjusted to the school and through major areas (colors, shapes, numbers, alphabet, weather, time, etc.) Does anyone have any advice about things that you use in your classroom? I'm interested in any materials used, not just beginners, although that's what I'm working on right now.

Thank you!

Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:18 am
MES-Zealot!

What do you mean when you say 'pull-out ESL'? Is that a course book?

Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:10 pm
MES-Zealot!

Have you looked at Reading A to Z or their partner programs RAZ kids and Science A to Z. It is a website that let's you download very short graded readers. The RAZ kids program has the same books as Reading A to Z but students can listen to the stories as the read on-line. All of these programs have different levels on the same topic. You can sign up to get free copies and trial period.

Also Beth Skelton has a DVD on how to shelter English on her website:
http://www.bethskelton.com/materials.html

I haven't seen the video but I've read numerous examples that were really clear and helpful. For example she described how she taught about photosynthesis to ESL learners.

Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:05 pm
MES-Member

What do you mean when you say 'pull-out ESL'? Is that a course book?

i think withdrawal is what was meant?

umm i look at worksheets surrounding vocab - so work through "all about me" etc through to school vocab to actions etc.

begin with the words they need to participate at school

Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:48 pm
MES-Member

I also run a pull-out programme, for children from K-6, in a mainstream primary school.

For beginners, I concentrate on basic survival vocabulary - school and home. I tend to work in ten-week (term) blocks, as that is how our year is structured. My younger students this year have studied food, games, animals and family. Each unit includes oral and written (as appropriate) activities. My main aim is to have them speaking and understanding English.

The older children who have been here a while, also work in themes. For example, my seniors (11-12 years old) have all been here about three years and are working generally quite well with their mainstream classes. This term we are doing a unit on City Planning, which involves them in the vocabulary of different types of buildings and what their purpose is (hospital, school, different shops, library, council buildings, etc). The unit's written component involves them planning their own city (I use the "Cleverkey" materials from English Raven as a base) and writing about their city, where the buildings are, what sort of buildings and explaining why they made the choices they did. The unit seems to be engaging them thoroughly, and increasing their proficiency in English, which is after all, the aim.

My middle group are doing a unit of work on Dragons Around the World, which involves them in reading, comprehension, and writing, as well as a lot of oral discussion.

I hope some of this helps.

Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:47 pm
MES-Member

For non-US readers unfamiliar with "pull-out" programmes, it means taking individual children out of the mainstream classroom to help them with their language learning needs.

Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]