MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Help?! 
MES-Member

Post Help?!
I am going to start lessons in October with some Middle Eastern ladies and I will be teaching them from home. It's basically to gain work experience for myself while I am in the last yr of my degree, as well as hopefully benefiting some ladies with some free lessons in English! I need to invest in some books and I am weary, because I know they cost loads, so I want to make sure I buy books that I can use over and over again. So far I am thinking about buying the Cutting Edge books are there any essential books that I need, that anyone can think of? Also which websites do you advise I buy the books from, baring in mind I am in the UK?

Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:30 am
MES-Member

Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:15 am
Site Admin

What types of books is it that you are looking for? Course books for them? Teaching guides for you?

What level are the students? What are their goals?

I'd suggest you pick up whatever you need from www.amazon.co.uk . You'll probably get the best deal from there.

www.breakingnewsenglish.com has some current events material for advanced students

www.headsupenglish.com has some current events material for intermediate students and advanced students

A good grammar book is handy to have around, Practical English Usage, Michael Swan, Oxford Press.

Other than that, I just read other books for thought, theory and background information. I have quite a few teaching/lesson plan books that I never look at.

Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:52 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Zealot!

What I did in the past with some of my adult students was go to a book store with them and then we all decided which book we wnated to use.

I usually taught one on one so it was easy. This might also be a good idea for you since you are teaching a group and they are likely to be at different levels.

This way you won't get something too easy or too diffciult for any one student.

Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:43 pm
MES-Member

I can really recommend "Essential Grammer in Use" for elementary students from Cambridge University Press and also "Grammar in use" for intermediate students also from Cambridge University Press, both by Raymond Murphy. They are very clear and concise and have helped numerous of my adult and older children.

Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:55 am
MES-Member

Post Grammar in Use
Grammar in Use is OK as a supplement, but as a main course textbook, it is really dry. I agree with the previous poster - it is best when the class chooses a book together. I will sometimes bring two or three samples to class (you can order sample copies from the publisher) and "test" a few pages with the group, and see which ones they like.

Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:13 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]