MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Need help/New ideas for teaching body parts 
MES-Zealot!

Post Need help/New ideas for teaching body parts
Hey ya'll I'm looking for some fresh ideas for teaching and more importantly helping the kids reatain the vocabulary for the body parts.

I have an elementary school that I've taught for 2 semesters now and some of them still struggle with the body parts. The students are 3rd/4th graders.

Things that I've done in addition to using my texts are bingo, head shoulders knees and toes, teacher says touch your______,
chain race this is my_____ that is your________, the dice1-6 where they dray the head etc, I also did it for the body, I've given them bodies to label or had them draw bodies and had them label them(not muchhelp because most can't read very much), I had them tape with bodies parts listed on me and each other, I've used both the large and small flash cards for various games (go fish, conceintration, slap, I've placed cards all around the room and they have to race and find them, but some of my students just aren't retaining the vocabulary.

One day I say yes they finally have it, but then the next lesson when we are reviewing and they ask me what I word is and when I say arm they point to the knee and so on.

So any new ideas, activities, games whatever would be appreciated.

Cheers in adavance

Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:01 pm
MES-Fanatic!

If you have boys and access to a computer to show NFL's greatest hits. Also if you don't have a computer in class maybe get photos and post them on the board. And have them say he got hit on the ___. And have them pin the word on where he got hit.

Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:59 pm
MES-Member

What i have done across a few different years is have each body part on flash cards (half the size of A4) and on the flash card is the word and a photo and also a cartoon of each body part.

I then go through this with them again and get them to point to the body part on their body. I put these up on the wall/board.

I then had them trace in pairs or 3s around one of their group members on large butchers paper. Giving each group a set of the body parts with just the words they then glue/blu tac them onto the body.

This means that they work together to work out the words and then if need be they actually were running up to the board to match the word to the flashcard one and then to the picture and then could go back and put it on the big body.

i found it was a fun activity - could get noisy but smaller groups are better than larger groups because they work cooperatively.

Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:32 pm
MES-Zealot!

a cool game I come up with is great for the young ones

team them up in pairs (or 3?)

and get them to stand up straight (I normally say "hands down") facing their partner (so they can see who is 1st)

and I say "touch your head" etc and they race to touch it 1st. The slower one is out and has to sit down. Continue and pair up the winners and finish up with a final
This is so simple and works well, lots of fun

Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:37 am
MES-Member

another game you could do which is a lot of fun is to have a pile of blown up balloons (depending on the children as some children dont like balloons). Then you have as you call a body part out they have to touch a balloon with that body part without breaking the balloon - if they do the wrong body part of break the balloon they are out.

This can work with no balloons - touch your elbow to the desk, touch you head to the carpet etc.

Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:25 pm
MES-Zealot!

someone mentioned in another thread last year, that he had success using the monsters in Monster, Inc. and having the students describe each monster.

He has 7 eyes and a long neck, two arms and one let. He has 3 fingers on each hand and 2 toes on his foot. etc.

Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:47 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Zealot!

I'll give them a go next time we cover body parts.

Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:43 pm
MES-Member

someone mentioned in another thread last year, that he had success using the monsters in Monster, Inc. and having the students describe each monster.

He has 7 eyes and a long neck, two arms and one let. He has 3 fingers on each hand and 2 toes on his foot. etc.

i love that idea

Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:46 pm
MES-Addict

All it was was very quickly naming body parts and touching them at the same time.
I called it Head Body Legs - as that was the beginning of each chant.

Head Body Legs
Head Body Legs
Ears Eyes Nose Nose
Head Body Legs

You can change the third line to whatever parts you want.
Teacher first, then it's repeated by all the students together.
If it is done very fast, it is difficult and fun.

Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]