MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
what to teach a 5 year old 
MES-Fanatic!

Post what to teach a 5 year old
Hiya, am a little stuck and hoping for some advice. I teach a 5 year old at my home once a week, and my 4 year old son joins in, he understands english by ear but he lacks speaking wise. When they both get together you can imagine its mayhem, i do songs and exercise to begin with. The childs mother wants simple converstion, games are a bit too wild, and they become a little too competative and sometimes cry if the other wins, what can i teach this gal? she knows the alphabet, n` all that. She can say i like/i dont like,,,she knows her colours, body parts, and counting up to 20, i also taught her "this n that". But how can i teach this gal everyday talk. Hmm am thinking about trying "i spy" that seems low key. I sometimes just talk with her for 5-8 mins, then let her play for a while then call her back, cos their attention span at that age is short. well any ideas would be welcomed, thanks.

Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:01 am
MES-Fanatic!

Actually, I came here to post this on this site for people liek you. LOL Good timing. http://www.kizclub.com/Sbody.html

Ask silly questions of the girl. Do you have a boyfriend? Who are you going to marry? The answer is always Daddy. Is she going to get a pet. Does she have a pet. What color will the pet be. Just explore Marks wonderful site. I want to buy him a movie because of how much he has helped me. Any suggestions there Mark on which movie you want?

My example of talking with Ashley:

H: Is Greg your boyfriend?
A: No. He's Not?
H: I heard you liked him.
A: I like him, because he makes me funny.

Well maybe Ashley was a little more advanced for other 5 year olds, but they have to start somewhere. And you can teach them the correct response or even a more precocious repsonse.

Are you handsome/pretty?

You know it.

Are you ugly?

No way Jose.

Also watch some sesame street on youtube together and ask her questiosn about that.

Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:43 am
Site Admin

Take a look at the Little Town cards. Those are some pretty basic sentence structures for kids that age.

I like
I don't like
I have ...
Ican ...
I want ...
I play ...

The way I get students to talk is to say things that are wrong. For example if we are doing colors and I throw out a green card, I'll say 'Penguins are green.' and the students paying attention will immediately say 'no.' Then I continue on 'They're not green ... hmm? Bears are green!' and on and on this continues until finally someone will want to tell me something. They'll say 'frog' or something.

That kind of thing has worked for me to get younger kids to produce language and it builds over time. They'll start to say more and form more sentence like formation leading eventually to sentences.

So, the trick is to get them to want to say something.

Quote:
Just explore Marks wonderful site. I want to buy him a movie because of how much he has helped me. Any suggestions there Mark on which movie you want?

On the movie front, I appreciate the offer, but I've stopped buying/collecting movies. I don't have time to watch many movies over and over again. I already have a collection of movies that I'd love to watch again, but just can never get around to it. I'm a big renter, though ... I've been getting in about 2-3 movies a week :D

The best thing people can do for me/this site is pop in here and leave some ideas or ask and answer questions. It's encouraging for me to see people active in here and also very helpful for me to think about problems or read how others might handle a situation.

Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:51 am
Profile WWW
MES-Fanatic!

Post great site thanks
hikemonster, i cant thank you enough for sending on that kizclub site,,,,what a saver. i have already printed off a few crafts that are easy to discuss with this little gal, I`ve yet to check the "little town cards" that mark suggested, that too am gonna look into for future use. Great,,,am so happy. thanks guys.

Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:50 pm
MES-Fanatic!

Post little town cards
hi mark, i really wanna get hold of those little town cards, how may i make a donation? do i have to donate using a card? perhaps paying a donation would be easier for me rather than posting ideas, cos being a fulltime mom i dont have much time to sit at the pc,,,how much should i donate? i sooooooooo need those little town cards, they sound IDEAL since they are all in picture form,, and i have used the big town cards which were fantastic,,so please let me know ASAP. I live in Miyota by the ways, which is near you. My friend who is a JUKU, sends her daughter to the same school as your kids. haha, small world, but then again, your site is so amazing am sure your are very popular.

Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:59 pm
MES-Fanatic!

Post free gift
hi mark, i just recieved my free password which gives me access to the little town cards etc i cant thank you ENOUGH, am so excited to print these now, but ummm i still need to know how to make a donation, cos your site has helped me sooooooooooo much.

Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:09 pm
MES-Addict

Card games can be alot of fun for kids around that age.

Do you have *card* yes i do, no i dont. Its your turn

Adjectives, verbs too, then you can give clues for I Spy etc

Too tired to type more, some of my keys are stuck, this is taking forever

Hope it helps

Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:53 am
Site Admin

Post Re: little town cards
caz wrote:
I live in Miyota by the ways, which is near you. My friend who is a JUKU, sends her daughter to the same school as your kids. haha, small world

I could hit you with a rock from here :D

Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:45 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Zealot!

Here is a web page with games based on a lot of childrens shows. I think it would be great for one on one or one on two, since your son joins in sometimes.

http://pbskids.org/

I try and watch a video related to the show we're working with on youtube first and then play one of the games., asking questions as we go.

Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:03 pm
MES-Member

Here's the PDF for the New York State ESL standards for Pre-K to 1st Grade. http://www.emsc.nysed.gov/biling/resour ... 2Early.pdf

I must admit that looking at these standards I wonder how one would actually teach this stuff to kids so young. What's interesting about this is that the first four standards are the same as the the public school standards for native-speaking English/Language Arts students.

Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:58 am
MES-Member

i would look at getting some big pictures and discuss what is happening in them - i have done that with kindergarten ESL students that come to school with virtually no English and when you get them as groups discussing the pictures they really enjoy it. Puzzles are good in this aspect as well - you can get ones with scenes e.g. street scenes.

Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:34 pm
MES-Addict

If you are still stuck for content to teach, if you are ever in a bigger book store, especially in Japan, find the ESL section. There are many titles to choose from (most are as good as the next). Grab the first in a kids series, or a pre series/ getting ready text.
You will probably see somthing that looks interesting to you, or something that you can think of a game for.
Most Japanese book stores don't mind if you just pop in to read for a bit.
If there is a teacher's copy on sale, they often have many games that go along with the ideas expressed in the textbook.
At the very least, it will give you an idea of vocabulary lists or simple sentences that you could incorporate into your lessons.
At four and five, they can learn very quickly, especially if it is reenforced through the rest of the week. If you were to give the mother of your student, a few of the flash cards to play with as "homework" (and work with your son a couple extra days too) you will notice a quick improvement at that age.
I have 6 four year olds that continually surprise me with what they remember - sponges I tell you.

Even if you go and have fun playing - like making voices for the animals or toys, they will pick that up too. Short simple dialogues, hello, my name is, I like, etc. Or if you vocalize (or even sing) every action you make, put the ball in the basket, or sit on the mat, or whatever, they learn that too.

Have fun - high emotion = high return with the little ones
Enjoy them, and they will enjoy learning

I hope.

Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:38 pm
MES-Member

I have some young kids I teach as well and found that a not too structured environment works fantastically well. I just speak english the whole time and play with their toys such as the car garage thingy with their cars and vans and ambulances and people, etc, etc. I keep up a running commentary the whole time, "let's put the red car on the car deck, turn the wheel, up it goes" and just repeat things constantly. I speak at normal speed and ask questions, like "is it going up yet, a bit more, a bit more". I have found that they pick up so much stuff this way and think they appreciate the more natural flow of the language.

Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:45 am
MES-Member

Wow, Hikemonster, thanks for kizclub! A real goldmine! A pity there's no karma point system around here, for you undoubtedly deserves a +1 ;)

Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:55 pm
MES-Member

I think the problem with speaking only in english with them (if in a class with more than 6 students) is that they will just let it go and won't pay attention to you, starting to focus on their friends and other things.

Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next