MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
What age is too young for ESL? 
MES-Addict

I am an experience nursery teacher and I have to say that it is now you approach the lesson not so much the age of the children that is important. When I each 'wrigglies' English I spend only 10 minutes with the 2-3 year olds and 20 mins with 3-4 yr olds. Think 'circletime'. There are lots of songs that involve the kids doing things eg

5 fat sausages.
5 current buns in the bakers shop.
Baby bumble bee.
The little mice are sleeping.

I use a secret bag asking them to find something and then I tell them what it is.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:44 am
MES-Addict

Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:45 am
Site Admin

What does TPR mean?

TPR means Total Physical Response. It's a teaching method designed by James Asher.

Students respond to verbal commands and sentences silently and in the process, they internalize the language and grammar.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:38 am
Profile WWW
MES-Member

I agree there is not a too young age to learn English, as long as you take a lot of visual things and fun activities for them to enjoy watching you in such a weird language for them. And soon they would get use to it and would love it!

Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:42 pm
MES-Member

Kids brains are most malleable when they are tiny...
You just shouldn't expect to see huge progress since they still have trouble speaking in L1 let alone L2!!!
As long as you can bring an entertaining style to class, the kids will get something out of it.
You don't have to bounce off the walls, but singing songs and using 'animated' speech (more so than with older students) will help generate interest in you, which is what the lil ones need in order to focus and learn from your input.
Once kids hit age 4 you can expect to really see some good progress on L2 building skills, but even younger ones are absorbing everything you throw at them.
Reading stories with big colorful pictures is really good for young kids and can keep you from going crazy about not being able to reach the level of "communication" that you might expect from older students.

Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2