MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Pre-Juniors 
MES-Addict

Post Pre-Juniors
Do you think it's possible to use only the 'MES' material with my 6 year olds? I see them twice a week and I've always used coursebooks with colourful pages and fun books. I mean, have you ever done sth like that? Is it enough? Does it take a lot of time to prepare?

Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:47 am
Site Admin

I use only MES resources with my groups. :D

Now that Tools for Educators is open, it's probably pretty simple to just use MES resources. On Tools for Educators you can make reading, writing and spelling worksheets pretty quickly.

I guess it really depends on what your students will need the language for. Are they going to be tested? Will MES resources support those needs?

There's something really cool coming that may really help! I haven't been this excited since Tools for Educators opened up!
:smt026

Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:01 am
Profile WWW
MES-Addict

That's what I usually do with my 6 year olds: We start on 1st September and stop on 30th May. They have a 50minute lesson twice a week. Up to the end of December they learn words and phrases orally. They start writing after Chrismas.They learn one letter per lesson and two words starting from it. Your material looks ideal for my plans.
You ask if my students are tested. After Christmas they are in a way. They have to circle words or pictures- for example: :cry: s m The kids have to circle s since the picture means sad and starts from s. (I chose this word because I don't know how to copy and paste a picture in this e-mail,apart from those yellow Emoticons on my left...) So, simple things and a lot of guided speaking. But up to now I had books with detailed lesson plans...
Anyway, which sets of words do you do with these kids? I've seen photos from your school. Your students are holding books with pictures. Are they coursebooks? In other photos, there are mothers behind the students -during the lesson?- Are they all having a lesson?
Thanks again for your great ideas. I'll be waiting for you new invention...

Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:18 am
MES-Member

Mes is great, but limited. I wouldn't restrict myself solely to that.

Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:29 am
MES-Addict

What can't you do with pre-juniors if you use only "mes"? Vocabulary, the use of the language, phonics, and a huge variety of games are already there. What do you think should one use but not included in "mes"?

Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:58 am
Site Admin

I'll be my first critic and say that what MES really lacks is longer reading material.

I've been experimenting with readers from publishers, but haven't really been happy with anything in particular. Recently I've been using the reading worksheet makers to make longer reading about specific vocabulary, but students can really benefit from stories.

I've tried:
- Spectrum's Reading Grade 1 - it's great but too long for my classes(100+ pages)
- Reading A-Z books - OK, but not enough content EFL applicable
- Dolphin Readers from OUP - pretty good with good activities, but a little expensive

Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:27 am
Profile WWW
MES-Zealot!

It could be done, but I have found that a nice healthy mix works best for me.

I use text books, MES and stuff from other web sites, online games, etc.

Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:33 pm
Site Admin

There's something really cool coming that may really help! I haven't been this excited since Tools for Educators opened up!

Here it is www.123listening.com

That should really help with listening portions!

Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:51 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]