MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
vocabulary and tenses 
MES-Member

Post vocabulary and tenses
I am teaching to 11 year-olds.our text book consists 14 units.In each unıt there are lots of new voc.items.but less grammer.before the lesson,ı prepare picture dictıonary on paper and ı photocopy for every student.we read them for good pronounciatıon.then we study the grammar then the readings in the book.I wonder how do my other colleques do in the lesson?

Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:15 pm
MES-Zealot!

Check out the two worksheets on this page. My students love to practice new vocabulary words and review grammar learned using these type fun handouts.

Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:34 pm
Site Admin

I like to introduce the vocabulary via gestures. As best I can, I act out the word and have the students think about what it might mean. They discuss the word in pairs and then I have some of the students offer up their guesses. I hope to develope in the students the propensity to search for meaning as opposed to waiting for the translation.

If I'm using flashcards, there's less need to do that. I might just drill the words.

I generally like to start using the vocabulary right away. I choose a target language and then choose the vocabulary I'll use. Once I've drilled the vocabulary, I'll play any number of games with them to solidify their knowledge:
    - play concentration
    - play go fish
    - play bingo
    - play Bounce Around
    - use the vocabulary in the Paper Game
    - play baseball, soccer, football or basketball (these are simple guessing games)
    - play slap

Concentration - is also known as 'Memory'. You need two sets of flashcards so that with each vocabulary word you can make a pair. You'll put all of the flashcards out face down in the center of a group (2-6 students.)
    - The first student will turn over two cards.
    - If the cards are the same, the student keeps the pair as a point and goes again.
    - If the cards are not the same, the student returns the cards to the face down position and then it's the next player's turn.
Each time they turn over a card I have all the students in the group say the word(s) associated with the card. With more advanced students they will make a sentence with the vocabulary, ask a question to another student using the vocabulary, give the opposite meaning, or any speaking task you can associate with the card.

Go Fish - is a game where again, students are trying to get 2, 3 or 4 of the same card. The more the students need to collect to make a set, the longer the game will run (and the more fun it is for older students.) Depending on how many of the same card you want the students to collect you'll need 2, 3, or 4 sets of small flashcards per group (3-6 students/group.)
    - set all the cards face down in a messy pile in the center of the group. This is your 'pond.'

- tell each member to take X number cards. Somewhere between 5-7 is a good number. You want about half the cards left in the 'pond', the center.

- to start student 1 asks another student, anyone in the group, for any card student 1 has in his hand, "Kenny, do you have a lion?"

- Kenny looks at his cards and if he has a lion, he gives it to student 1

- If Kenny doesn't have a lion he says, "No, I don't have a lion. Go fish." and student 1 takes a card from the 'pond' ending his turn.

- Then the next student can ask someone for a card.

- When a player gets 2, 3, or 4 of the same card, they put the cards down in front of them and those are their points.

- At the end of the game, the player with the most points is the winner.

Kids love this game. You can really do a lot with the question. You can just ask for an item or you can make it more elaborate.

- "Do you have a boy that works at a gas station?"
- "Have you ever been to Brazil?" (if they have a Brazil card, they answer yes. If not, they answer no.)
- "What happened? Were you stung by a bee?" (if they have the 'stung' card, they answer yes. If not, they answer no.)

and so on...

My take on new vocabulary and language is it should be introduced as 'alive.' It's something to be used or talked about. Later we can move it to the page and do some written or reading activities with it. It depends on the type of class but if I can, I don't even show them the written form first. (That's why none of the MES flashcards have words on them.)

For follow-up later on, I'll have the students do:
do a word search
do a crossword
do a free writing exercise using the word in a sentence or question
do a reading and writing sheet

Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:20 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]