MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Phonetic alphabet 
MES-Member

Post Re: Phonetic alphabet
This is a very interesting discussion. I know in China, it seems as if a lot of the students know IPA and use it a lot. As a result there are times I'll write a word on the board and I'll see one of my students writing the word and then the IPA (which I didn't write on the board). I'm not great with a lot of the symbols myself. If I do use them in class, I probably looked up the words before class and wrote the IPA down so I would know it later. However, I do agree with a lot of the points raised here, especially these two:

1.) It helps students learn on their own when they're not in class. If they've found a new word and the IPA helps them say it, great.

2.) However, IPA gives the false idea that there's only one correct pronunciation. They learn this pronunciation and then there will always be those moments when I say a word and they don't understand it at first because my pronunciation is being affected by my accent.

Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2