MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Structure for 2 year olds 
MES-Member

Post Structure for 2 year olds
I have recently opened a small language school for children from 3 years upwards and things are so far going great. For the younger ones I have a stucture and objectives for each lesson with an opening song, work then done as a group, after which there is the opportunity for free play, then a goodbye song, story and stickers and this, far the large part, does go to plan ;-)

After interest from several mothers I'm due to start working with some even younger children - 2 years - and whilst I do have experience with children this young, it's always been on a fun and play basis rather than in a more 'structured' environment. I know that everything must still be play based etc but can a 'lesson' for children this young still have structure? And are they able to follow it?

Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:23 am
MES-Zealot!

2 years is probably on the young side. As long as the parents have realistic expectations about what they will "achieve" then it should go okay. You can have a structure but don`t expect them to stick to it. I would suggest songs are best and a short time span- 20 minutes.

My wife has made some copies of songs used in class for her younger children to take home so they can listen repeatedly.

Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:53 am
MES-Fanatic!

I have a few students under two, and a few months ago I started teaching at a school where I have a 20 minute class with 1-2 year olds. At first I was wondering what I would do, but its going pretty well. In this case, the preschool teachers are there to help me. In your case, I imagine the parents will be there to help.

The way I structure my class, is much like you said you are structuring your class for your over 3 year olds students. I use a lot of songs, maybe 4 or 5 each class. Before each song there is a little lesson. If it is a numbers song, we count 1 to 10, count some objects, etc. If it is an animal song, I use puppets to introduce the animals and the sounds they make, then we sing. Also, little games like London Bridge is falling down, etc. are fun for this age (if they can walk yet, a few of my youngest cant :)

Also, they love books! So between the songs, mini lessons and books, it keeps it pretty flowing and structured.

I guess for me I try to keep it relevant to what kids understand at that age, they all have seen a dog before. hope this helps. All the songs I use I have on my site if you want to check it out. some are free downloads.

Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:39 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Member

Thanks for the replies, sorry I haven't gotten back quicker :D

I'll try and structure the time I spend with the kids in a similar way to that which I'm doing already I guess and take it from there - I've tried to explain to the mums that I can't work miracles in a one hour session once a week ;-) I do like the idea of doing copies of the songs though so they can listen to them at home - it may help a little.

Anyway, I start next week with 2 year olds so I'll let you all know how things go!!

Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]