MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Lesson Topics needed for girls aged 12 going-on-24! 
MES-Member

Post Lesson Topics needed for girls aged 12 going-on-24!
I work in Spain and have just begun teaching at an Academia providing extra-curricular English classes for school age children.

Everyday I have a group of six or seven girls aged around twelve and thirteen going on thirty. They are of mixed abilities ranging from kids who are actually OK at English but need 'babysitting' as their parents are obviously at work and those who have failed English in the termly tests and regard the whole thing as a punishment. They suffer from the usual teenage girl obsessions of boys, boys and more boys. Their preferred method of spending an hour long English class is eating sweets, whining to be allowed on the computers so they can use MSN Messenger and having L1 conversations.

Some of them have homework from school but they are all on different books and at different schools and have homework on different nights. They are expected to do their school homework in the class and I have no problem with this. I want to try to do something with all of them for about 45 mins and then let those without homework complete a written worksheet/project while I help those with homework.

What I'm really looking for is something that will engage their interest and we could maybe string out for the week or more. I had thought about:

Music - groups and solo artists - songs
Horoscopes
Fashion
Agony pages

They have a conversational language level of nil and could really do with some practice but of course they won't speak English in front of each other in case they look silly. They all seem to get on quite well and their are no real personality clashes.

Has anyone else had the same sort of problem? I would be grateful for any help.

Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:42 am
MES-Zealot!

Every hormonal teenager loves to know their future, especially who they are going to marry. Have you ever thought about doing the fortune telling game with them? Sometimes, it's called MASH.

Here are the rules if you have never heard of the game:
http://jhsenglipediaproject.com/jhs_tex ... lling.aspx

Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:29 am
MES-Member

Nice one - I will have to change it reflect Spanish life rather than Japanese but it could be good in the horoscopes topic!

Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]