MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Reading: broad exposure vs. extensive repetition 
Site Admin

Post Reading: broad exposure vs. extensive repetition
Sorry, if you thought this was going to be a post with the information ... This is actually a question.

Recently, I've been wondering what is the best way to improve language ability via reading. While the answer I'm sure is balance, I've been wondering what is better, broad exposure to many different texts or more concentrated focus on fewer texts but repetitive readings?

So, which do you feel students benefit the most from, many varied readings or more extensive work with fewer readings?

I'm off to search for some data on this ...

Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:34 am
Profile WWW
MES-Zealot!

1. I think you would need to factor in the age level; younger students enjoy repetition and older ones like to be challenged more.

2. I think a repetition of a broader exposure would be the best for reading purposes. For example, having students practice reading the same material but the material includes many types of exposure various spellings of the same sound. Kinda like the Dr. Seus books... Or, are you talking about something entirely different?

I look forward to reading what you discover.

Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:04 pm
MES-Zealot!

Personally, I like the set up of Reading A to Z. Their beginning books are very simple and repetitive, similar to the "Brown Bear Brown Bear, What do you see?" book. Then as you move in level, they have the same themes/stories but with more detail and difficulty. Their new Science A to Z was offering a free download that has a good example of this.

Krashen, Jim Trelease (sp) and Akio Furukawa to name a few have shown studies indicating that reading for pleasure is an extremely effective way to acquire a language.
(this is a link that briefly describes Akio Furukawa's work
http://www.seg.co.jp/sss/english/index.html )

I think that being too repetitive and dissecting a story may actually turn away a lot of students.

An option for using one book for the entire class is to take parts of the story to compare and contrast with your students. In this way you are being repetitive, but in a personalized way so students' interest is not lost.

Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:45 pm
MES-Member

Post Use both
Give the children exposure to lots of books. You will find that they will decide for themselves which books they want you to read again and again and...

As they get older the less they will want repetitive readings.

Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:39 pm
MES-Zealot!

When my children were learning to read there was lots of repitition. They would read at school together as a class repeating after the teacher, then read by themselves, in small groups or with their older "reading buddy" and then bring the books home to read with us. Most books lasted a week.

The natural thing for them to do at first was to memorize the text and then "read" it from that. They were encouraged to use their finger to point to the words as they said them and over time this progressed to recognising words and reading them. They always read aloud.

Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:34 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]