MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
discipline in the class. 
MES-Addict

So, I used the 10 point thing.

For my 1st/2nd graders, they get 10 points (2nd graders need all the points they can get ).

3rd/4th get 7, and 5/6th get 5.

After doing it for one week (and having 2 or 3 classes getting to 0), Ive noticed a huge difference. They really like my games, and dont like to lose it. That, and the wrath of their teacher if they reach 0 is enough to get them in line basically.

I had my most crazy class get to 0 and the teacher basically threatened them to have no English classes the rest of the year. Since they find it fun, and a break from tedious learning, they are one of my better classes now.

I'm glad that you have found it helps you with your classes. It's always good to hear that it works for others. It sounds like your teacher is also supportive, which is great.

In response to the comment about A in ALT - I used this system in China when I didn't have another teacher in the class with me. Also, I feel that if the (in your case) Japanese teacher assumes full responsibility for discipline and control, it reduces my effectiveness as a teacher, and the amount the students learn. That is just my feeling though.

Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:06 pm
MES-Member

Use the 10 point thing myself, you can vary it in loads of ways (works best with Elementary kids I imagine) - picture of a bomb on the board, if they speak native tongue, are naughty etc erase some of the fuse, if the bomb goes off there is some punishment for the whole class (no games, extra spelling, whatever)

If you tend to reward kids with candy (I know some don't like this method), one cruel yet excellent way to improve discipline is to have 2 boxes of candy (1 box for each team with enough candy for each kid in the team). If they don't participate etc you remove a candy from their box and put it into the box of the team that are working hard. If they like candy it really makes them pressure each other to behave well in my experience.

Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:42 am
MES-Member

sorry, one other way I nastily encourage participation and improve discipline in classes with older kids is to reward the best team with the opportunity to give the other team extra spelling words to learn for the next class.

It has made even the most lackadaisical students more energetic, & I've found many of my kids go home & try & learn extremely long words so that they can punish their friends on the other team, boosting their vocab a little bit too. Hope someone finds this helpful.

Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:45 am
MES-Fanatic!

tetentikov: the only problem with the candy system is that a lot of schools/teachers don't allow their students to recieve candy, except on special occasions like Halloween, so it would have to be something non food like stickers or whatnot...

Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:24 am
MES-Member

SiegristRM wrote:
In response to the comment about A in ALT - I used this system in China when I didn't have another teacher in the class with me. Also, I feel that if the (in your case) Japanese teacher assumes full responsibility for discipline and control, it reduces my effectiveness as a teacher, and the amount the students learn. That is just my feeling though.

I respect where you're coming from and understand. ESID, I guess. I'm not there to punish the kids. Ever. My job is to make English fun, and a little bit different from their normal classes. If I have a problem with the kids, I take it to a teacher and let them handle it. The teachers appreciate that as well, since there's no chance of any misunderstanding between me and the kids.

That's not to say I never tell the kids to be quiet, etc. I just don't want to ever be seen taking something away from them. That's not my place, and I don't want it to be. I feel it would reduce my effectiveness dramatically.

Rewards, on the other hand ... At one of my jr. highs, one of the teachers I work with hands out little bingo sheets to all the kids. Any time they volunteer to answer a question, and we call on them, even if they're wrong, they get a sticker to put on their sheet. Once that sheet is filled up they get a small prize (1 cent coins, erasers, pencils, etc). It works like crazy, even with the older kids.

That kind of system I can totally get behind.

Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:19 pm
MES-Member

BTW, hope my last post didn't sound too harsh. I can never tell, and hate the internet for that ...

I'm not here to rag on anyone's method of teaching since what works for one doesn't work for another necessarily. I know we all have the best interests of the kids in mind and that's what's important. Run with what works for ya and good luck. 8)

Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2